PDA

View Full Version : Units and startingpoints

Jarlabanke
15-02-2004, 17:44
As the game will have three different startingpoints, I wonder will the units be consistant? Will I be able to use vikings in the late period or longbowmen in the eary period?

Frank Fay
15-02-2004, 18:01
Yes the units will stay consistant through all periods.

Henrik
15-02-2004, 18:36
Originally posted by Frank Fay
Yes the units will stay consistant through all periods.

So this means that we'll see vikings in the late period also :scratch: ( if this is the case, i'll say "thank God this is not a simulation - the viking age ended officially in 1050 in Denmark and a bit later in Sweden )

Angryminer
15-02-2004, 18:51
What tells the player that is isn't 1050?
-> Year-counter-issue
:go:

Angryminer

Henrik
15-02-2004, 18:58
Originally posted by Angryminer
What tells the player that is isn't 1050?
-> Year-counter-issue
:go:

Angryminer

Good point ;) - that one seemed to have sliped my mind for a moment :)

Jarlabanke
15-02-2004, 20:17
Well, as there are three different starting dates ( the first in the mid 7hundreds, no?) I'd expect the at least the last one to be after 1050.
They teach us it's aproximately 1050 here in Sweden too, but as I've come to understand it's supposed to be the death of Harald Hårdråde at Stamford bridge that really marks the end.

King Yngvar
15-02-2004, 20:41
So this means that we'll see vikings in the late period also ( if this is the case, i'll say "thank God this is not a simulation - the viking age ended officially in 1050 in Denmark and a bit later in Sweden )

The same type of warfare was used at least for another century. The only thing that worries me is high medieval knights in the Viking Age... By the way, did your Viking Age end with the burning of Hedeby? Sure it was not 1042 and the loss of England you meant?

Henrik
15-02-2004, 21:33
Originally posted by King Yngvar
The same type of warfare was used at least for another century. The only thing that worries me is high medieval knights in the Viking Age... By the way, did your Viking Age end with the burning of Hedeby? Sure it was not 1042 and the loss of England you meant?

No, i've be taught that the viking age ended in 1050 "officially" - and then the early midieval period starts and i ends in 1536 when the reformation starts ( i.e. when protestantism replaced catholicism as the official religion )

btw, Jarlabanke i thought that the viking age lasted around 100 - 150 years more in Sweden :confused: maybe i'm get it wrong ;)

King Yngvar
15-02-2004, 23:37
In Norway we say that the Viking Age ends with the last king who goes viking. So the year would either be 1066 or 1103 here... But the "viking" unit in this game would still be able to last for another hundred years after the last year i typed, since the same "type of warfare" was used for another hundred years...

Henrik
16-02-2004, 13:15
I also think that there's a great difference between the "official" point in time and the actual time - i.e it's not like that were vikings one day and the next day they were medieval :D - the old ways probably took a few hundred years to change.

*let's see if we can get on-topic again - right ;)*

Jarlabanke
16-02-2004, 17:05
Just to clear something up, what you really marked the end of Swedish vikingage was probably the fact that Arabian silver mines
stopepd producing, from about 1000 A.D Swedes started to be more involved in the west, the last try to reopen the old eastern traderouts was about 1040. In the west most Swedes were under the command of Danish or Norwegian kings/chiefs/whatever, after the old line of kings died out we were in civilwar for very many years to come.

Henrik
16-02-2004, 19:21
Originally posted by Jarlabanke
Just to clear something up, what you really marked the end of Swedish vikingage was probably the fact that Arabian silver mines
stopepd producing, from about 1000 A.D Swedes started to be more involved in the west, the last try to reopen the old eastern traderouts was about 1040. In the west most Swedes were under the command of Danish or Norwegian kings/chiefs/whatever, after the old line of kings died out we were in civilwar for very many years to come.

I knew about the trade routes to the east - Swedish vikings had lot's of influence and relations which streached from the Baltic sea down and all the way down to the Black sea and further btw, it's also from that region that the tale about: Risala: Ibn Fadlan's Account of the Rus (http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/ibn_fdln.htm) ( Wyglifs bålfærd ) originates ( vikings was called "Rus" in this part of the word at that time ). what i didn't know was that there was a civilwar in the swedish teritories.

Jarlabanke
16-02-2004, 19:34
Well the civilwar started after the vikingage, from about 1060 and forward things started to go downwards, though it really got worse during the mid 11 hundreds.
As for their travels eastwards, the expedition which I mentioned in my previous post actaully got as far as the Caspian sea.
The word Rus is belived to be the same as in todays Roslagen (Ros-lagen the coast of Svealand).

Henrik
16-02-2004, 19:46
Thank for enlighten me Jarlabanke :)