PDA

View Full Version : So, any medieval games on the horizon?

Pages : [1] 2

dearmad
09-01-2006, 00:13
Anyone have any news of a new game anyone may be making anywhere that can update this genre of games?

Seems like Crusader Kings and Knights of Honor are the only half-decent ones out there. LoTR3 was horrible.

Sad they all came out at once, but at least they came out! :scratch:

Angryminer
09-01-2006, 09:23
No, I don't think there are any games of this setting coming anytime soon.

But... don't you want this to be moved to the webmaster's inn? It's not quite related to KoH's gameplay...

Angryminer

Ciaran
09-01-2006, 16:54
Unless you count the Chivalry mod for Rome TW, or rather Barbarian Invasion, but when thatīs to be released is still uncertain.

qorda
11-01-2006, 18:31
Dearmad look out for this one. It is coming this autumn and if it is what it claims to be then it will be a bombshell: http://int.games.1c.ru/13_century/ . You mentioned LOTR3. Is there a forum for that and has anyone tried modding it ever. It was a game with great potentials but silly mistakes.

Traveller
12-01-2006, 08:34
Dearmad look out for this one. It is coming this autumn and if it is what it claims to be then it will be a bombshell: http://int.games.1c.ru/13_century/ . You mentioned LOTR3. Is there a forum for that and has anyone tried modding it ever. It was a game with great potentials but silly mistakes.
Hmm... This one looks quite interesting! Only too bad that there are so few available nations...

Gallifrey
12-01-2006, 14:00
I'm wanting something that is more focused on diplomatic strategy, empire management and so forth rather than just war campaign after war campaign.

Ciaran
12-01-2006, 14:20
If thereīs nothing in the future might as well take a look in the past. Maybe you can find some older games you didnīt know about. I tend to do that frequently, sometimes itīs awesome what has already been done.

Gallifrey
12-01-2006, 14:28
If thereīs nothing in the future might as well take a look in the past. Maybe you can find some older games you didnīt know about. I tend to do that frequently, sometimes itīs awesome what has already been done.

That's usually what I do, I seem to play more older games than newer ones. I'm curious about Crusader Kings, but I hate buying games without playing them first via a demo, and there's no demo for CK.
Strategy games, for me, are tricky to guage by reviews and word of mouth. I picked up Medieval Total War "Battle Collection" a while back, seeing as it seemed to be universally hailed as brilliant, and in the year or so that I've had it I've never been able to get into it.

qorda
13-01-2006, 14:28
I'm wanting something that is more focused on diplomatic strategy, empire management and so forth rather than just war campaign after war campaign.
Hi Gallifrey, Civilizations IV will best suit you. :go:

Gallifrey
13-01-2006, 14:39
Yeah, I keep considering CivIV. What I don't like about the Civ games is that they cover all time periods, I prefer to stick with one. I usually lose interest in my Civ games when I hit the Industrial age.

Ciaran
13-01-2006, 23:24
Yes, the Medieval TW empire management part, especially the diplomacy, is a bit meagre, but at least the AI can cope with it. The battles however are brilliant, the best Iīve played so far.

Gallifrey
14-01-2006, 00:56
No arguements that the MTW battles are impressive, but I want an impressive diplomatic/management side as well.
Basically, if you took a game like KoH and tacked on the empire management of Civilization, I'd be happy.

Doux
15-01-2006, 22:18
Add to that the conversations of Alpha Centauri, the destructiveness of Total Annihilation and the fun of the Sims - and you've got a monstrous game.

But still, I'll add some of the convo's from Alpha Centauri - they're the best around.

Has anybody experience with Imperial Glory or Cossacks 2?

Anguille2
16-01-2006, 08:14
Yeah, I keep considering CivIV. What I don't like about the Civ games is that they cover all time periods, I prefer to stick with one. I usually lose interest in my Civ games when I hit the Industrial age.

You should check Spartan by Slitherine. It's a civ game with focus on Ancient Greece. See my link to Legion II....there's a demo (100 turns). :wink:

Angryminer
16-01-2006, 11:58
I'd also like to strongly suggest Alpha Centauri. The AI can put a lot of diplomatic preasure on you - pure fun. But Galactic Civilisations remains my favorite one.

Angryminer

qorda
16-01-2006, 13:25
Have a look at "strength and honor" and Takeda II. First deals with middle east in BC period and the second with Medieval Japan. Worth a try. battles not as impressive a MTW but more strategy than that game; www.ezgame.com

Gallifrey
16-01-2006, 13:46
I remember playing a demo for Alpha Centauri way back when, it was quite interesting, not sure why I never considered it further. It was probably due to my being into MOO2 quite heavily at the time and I didn't want another space strategy game. Perhaps it's time for a second look all these years later!
I agree that GalCiv was great, definitely an impressive game. I am looking more for an ancient world game right now, rather than a "scifi" one.
I'll also take a look at Spartan. I've heard mixed things about Slitherine, and I tried a couple of demos (forget which games) and was unimpressed.
That Strength And Honour looks quite intriguing as well.
The biggest problem I find is that games will be all about battles with very little diplomacy and empire management. It's all expand and kill, expand and kill.. Which is fine for a time, but ultimately becomes very boring, unless you're an aspiring war general.

Ciaran
16-01-2006, 15:46
Looks interesting, Iīve never heard about it before.

Anguille2
20-01-2006, 16:34
Medieval: Total War II has just been announced...

Link to first pictures:

Gamestar.de (http://www.gamestar.de/aktuell/screenshots/PlayerPicList.jsp?galleryId=1330)

Enjoy...

Angryminer
20-01-2006, 18:34
Looks great. I just hope someone turns it into a good game. *rolls eyes*

Angryminer