PDA

View Full Version : Units' experience

Vasiliy
07-02-2006, 00:41
Hi

I'm new in KoH. My army (spearmen, swordsmen, bowmens) won several battles. I add some features to my Marshall. But what with units' experience? When I change view mod from "Number of men" to "Experience" all my units have empty bars! How units can gain experience?

Thanks

Vasiliy

Elvain
07-02-2006, 02:39
Hi

I'm new in KoH. My army (spearmen, swordsmen, bowmens) won several battles. I add some features to my Marshall. But what with units' experience? When I change view mod from "Number of men" to "Experience" all my units have empty bars! How units can gain experience?

Thanks

Vasiliy
hi. The units gain experience in every combat. But the experience grows vety slowly. When unit is more experienced, you'll see a star in upper part of its icon

qorda
07-02-2006, 11:48
Is unit experience gaining hard coded or can it be speeded up through defs files. They do gain experience rather very slowly!:rolleyes:

Elvain
07-02-2006, 12:03
Is unit experience gaining hard coded or can it be speeded up through defs files. They do gain experience rather very slowly!:rolleyes:
I'm not sure if I did it accidentaly (because I know it was not intentional) but in my mod I have impression that the units gain it faster.

Maybe - but this is just speculation - it is because of biger size of squads (as units=squad gets experience from enemy units=soldiers killed) in units.xls there is a column where it you have value of experience if that unit is killed

qorda
08-02-2006, 15:59
Elvain is pointing to "exp cost" column; isn't he? The percentage % sign confuses me. Does it mean that if that particular unit is killed the killer unit will gain so many percent increase in experience? Or does it mean something else :silly:

Elvain
08-02-2006, 16:13
Elvain is pointing to "exp cost" column; isn't he? The percentage % sign confuses me. Does it mean that if that particular unit is killed the killer unit will gain so many percent increase in experience?
Yes I mean this.

I haven't tested if it is exactly as I describe it, but is there any better interpretation of this column?

Doux
08-02-2006, 22:39
Yes, I think my interpretation is better (*ahem*, sorry I'm a little arrogant :rolleyes:). No, no kidding, I thought the experience cost column did exactly as it said: defining per unit what experience he needs to raise a level - these levels are described/defined in econst.in2:
; experience
ExperienceRookie = 5000
ExperienceRegular = 15000
ExperienceElite = 30000
ExperienceVeteran = 50000
So that means that in vanilla KoH Teutonic Knights need 60,000 experience to get to the Elite experience level, whereas Peasants would need only 30,000. My interpretation of course, but that seemed logical to me. In my mod I set those of archers to a maximum of 300%, for they're almost always boosted.

qorda
09-02-2006, 13:41
In my mod I set those of archers to a maximum of 300%, for they're almost always boosted.

So basically in your Mod the experience gaining by the archers has been slowed down?

Doux
09-02-2006, 20:13
Exactly. This, because Marshals with archers will in many cases also have the Archery skill, increasing experience gains.

Largefry07
01-10-2006, 02:44
Is there a marshall skill that helps axe units gain experience. I know there isn't one specifly for axe units but does Spear Mastery or Sword Mastery work?

Also, can units double dip on these marshall skill. EX: Feudal Knights and mounted units and therefore would benefit from Cavalry Mastery, but they are armed with swords. So would that mean that they would benefit from Sword Mastery too. So if you had a level 3 Cavalry and Sword Mastery marshall, would those knights gain experience 600% faster?

Lord_Nick
01-10-2006, 15:47
What is the "real tangible" benefit of being more experienced?

The manual says "With time, the squad will increase its level and greatly enhance its statistics".

Has anyone quantified this? Do they have higher attack? higher defense? more morale? do their hit percentages go up? ranged units have greater accuracy/range? troops have greater speed/morale?

Doux
01-10-2006, 19:17
To answer Largefry07: as far as I know, only real spear units benefit from the Spear Mastery skills and only mounted units benefit from the Cavalry skill, so Axe units would probably fall under the Sword Mastery skill - but I haven't tested this, just assumed it.
About double dipping: I assumed that only Horse Archers et al. benefit from two marshall skills (Cavalry/Archer mastery) and that mounts only were affected by the Cavalry skill. This would imply that Sword mastery covers all infantry with weapons other than spears/halberds. But again, I haven't tested anything.

Lord_Nick: The more experienced the squad, the higher their morale bonus, this has been confirmed.