PDA

View Full Version : new units

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Elvain
10-02-2006, 11:01
I think about adding more units to my mod, but fact is that I can't add too much of them.

here is what I think of:
*andalusian infantry - medium muslim polearm unit originated in south Spain and Maghrib. Their strength is in high attack and satisfactory defense, but they are not very fast and the morale could be better.

* assassins - special muslim auxiliary unit strong in both melee and ranged fight. They are fanatic religious killers with impressive strength in attack, but weak in defense. Their advantages are also fast movement and high morale, disadvantages low defense and high prize

* baltic cavalry - special baltic cavalry originated in marches of Prussia and Lithuania. They are light cavalty using spears, very fast and good in forest fight, weak in defense and not very impressve morale.

* bulgar - nomadic bulgars were very fast and well armoured unit, deadly for inhabitants of Russia and the Balkans. They are strong in both melee and ranged fight, their morale is also high and are fast cavalry unit. They don't have disadvantages, except tzhe high prize

* byzantian spearmen - unit originated in Byzantine empire. They are part of impressive byzantine military system, their positives are relatively high defense and bonus against cavalry units, but they can be slaughtered by strong infantry unit.

* Castilian Spearmen - Spain

* caucasian highlander - Georgian infantry from the Caucasus mountain range. They are impresively fast infantry unit with strong attack, but with weak defense.

* hospitalier cavalry - famous catholic military order knights. They have only positives, high morale, impressive attack and they are very well armoured. Their only disadvantage is high prize.

* hussite pavisemen - heavy crossbowmen who emerged in hussite wars in late medieval Bohemia. They have extremely high morale as well as impressive defense. Their main disadvantage is extremely slow movement.

* Kern - Ireland

* Moorish Infantry - Southern Spain

* mameluk infantry - medium muslim infantry unit originated from slaves in islamic world. They are very well trained and perfect in melee fight. Unlike other muslim units they are well armoured what mirrors in relatively slower movement

*nakharars - armenian feudal knights are armenian version of persian and byzantine cataphracts. They are famous for their impressive defense and very high attack as well as high morale. Perfect defense make them one of the slowest cavalry units.

* NovgorodCityMilitia - Novgorod

* turkic tarkan - almost a perfect unit. Impresively strong unit in all aspects of fight, the combination of strong melee and ranged attack, high defense and morale makes them invincible and caused fell of Byzantine rule over Anatolia. This all makes their extremely high prize reasonable. Disadvantage of this nits is also low discipline.

please vote only for those units you would really like to see. I can't afford to put more than 7 units into the mod (the lesser the better) as it would be too large... so I need to eliminate 8 units from those above. But maybe if some unit won't be included in my mod, other mods may use them you may get them all :smile:

Xuca
10-02-2006, 11:35
You might want to recount, because if we eliminate 4, we are left with 11, and not 7.

Elvain
10-02-2006, 11:43
You might want to recount, because if we eliminate 4, we are left with 11, and not 7.
hehe, thanks

Angryminer
10-02-2006, 12:49
I picked just one. The byzantine spearmen.
The lesser the better. I think.
Always ask yourself: Will the the unit add a new aspect to the game or will it merely make the game more complex than it has to be? Will it improve the gameplay or would it just be "cool"?

Angryminer

Elvain
10-02-2006, 13:41
If thinking abuot it from this point I reduce my vote to these:
hospitalier cavalry (medium cavalry in Europe, armoured but withut autocharge)
assassins - "muslim" specific unit, like christian order knights
turkic tarkans - heavy islamic/nomadic ranged cavalry with autocharge
byzantian spearmen - medium (orthodox spearmen)

possibly also:
nakharars - orthodox feudals available in eastern parts of map, with autocharge
mameluk/moorish infantry - equivalent of men-at-arms in muslim lands

I would personaly like turkic tarkans far more than spahis. Spahis are almost the same like both of pronoi and ghulam cavalry - are somewhere between them (georgaphicaly and also in unit stats) + both Ghulams and Spahis are kingdom specific units for Ottomans, so Ottomans have 2 very similar kingdom special units. Why? What does this add to the game?

So I would use spahis look for hospitalier cavalry and replace them partly by ghulams and partly by tarkans

tenryu
10-02-2006, 14:31
In order of perference, if you want 8 or decide on less, I choose:
1. Byzantian infantry
2. Hospitalier cavalry
3. Turkic tarkans
4. Bulgars
5. Baltic cavalry
6. Naharars
7. Hussite pavisemen
8. Caucasian highlander

It looks like, so far, the Byz Inf. is a popular unit!
:)

Elvain
10-02-2006, 17:03
thanks, that's good that you gave also order of preferences...

to be honest I'm little disapointed that the unit I like the least from those I voted is the most popular (baltic cavalry)

:bash: something is wrong and I don't know what. I'm trying to run the game with new units (but it works only with those 3 already added :bash:)

Elvain
10-02-2006, 18:09
please could anyone help me? I don't know what I'm doning wrong. I have already checked it all over 3 times and can't find nothing wrong, but the game still refuses to run :bash:

would anyone test turk pack? (pack with new unit Turkish tarkan) I can't find the mistake :bash:
if someone would be interested, please write me on elvain.holyrome@centrum.cz
thanks

PS: please vote here so we could see what units are worth our work and what aren't

Angryminer
10-02-2006, 19:20
I read somewhere in the units-related-files that KoH has a specific number of units pre-allocated that can be filled with stats and images etc.
And I remember there were only 4 or thelike slots available after the standard-units of KoH. Try to remove the peasants and see wether KoH accepts one more custom unit.

Vain

Elvain
10-02-2006, 19:39
In HR 1.6 I have 52 units (in army_units.in2) and everything works fine. Now I have removed them all and added only 1 unit instead, but it doesn't work. And I did everything the same like before. I don't know what to do :bash:

Xuca
10-02-2006, 19:59
Send them to me, Elvain, maybe I can help you again.

Elvain
11-02-2006, 10:19
it seems that not many people would like to have new units in KoH. Is it worth the work?

Traveller
11-02-2006, 10:49
It's definitely worth it, I'd say! :go: Although I can't help you with the modding - I'm totally unfamiliar in that sphere...

weaz
11-02-2006, 12:58
I would be very interested in new units for KoH

But I am also not familiar with modding.

for new units: add them to regions with only boring standard units like peasants, swordsmen and archers. Byzantia has already cool units but soe regions in eastern europe have not. and most in northern africa.

Doux
11-02-2006, 13:51
please vote only for those units you would really like to see. I can't afford to put more than 7 units into the mod (the lesser the better) as it would be too large... so I need to eliminate 8 units from those above. But maybe if some unit won't be included in my mod, other mods may use them you may get them allUsing the right method of adding new units, the mod size won't increase that much (see also other thread about this).

I voted for:

caucasian highlander
hussite pavisemen
Kern
mameluk infantry

Doux
11-02-2006, 14:16
But, more precisely, I'd like some units in these regions:

Russia (infantry) - were there typical Russian infantry units? Most of them currently have only Boyars or so as kingdom unit.
Africa (islam warriors) - mameluk infantry looks good
Scandinavia - maybe a cavalry or archer, were there special units there? Currently Vikings.
Ireland and the Caucasus are covered by resp Kern and caucasian highlander. The hussite pavise crossbow is somewhat unnecessary though, I think, but another Heavy Crossbow is always cool :)

I think the Byzantine Spearmen are a good addition too, if they'll be widely available to orthodox nations.

Elvain
11-02-2006, 15:12
But, more precisely, I'd like some units in these regions:

Russia (infantry) - were there typical Russian infantry units? Most of them currently have only Boyars or so as kingdom unit.
Africa (islam warriors) - mameluk infantry looks good
Scandinavia - maybe a cavalry or archer, were there special units there? Currently Vikings.
Ireland and the Caucasus are covered by resp Kern and caucasian highlander. The hussite pavise crossbow is somewhat unnecessary though, I think, but another Heavy Crossbow is always cool :)

I think the Byzantine Spearmen are a good addition too, if they'll be widely available to orthodox nations.
instead of caucasian highlanders I would prefere nakharars (maybe because I like Armenia over Georgia)
Honestly I am against adding any unit to british isles. I think that 3 special units for such small region are enough.
I pland to spread byzantian spearmen also in orthodox balkan counties, especialy Serbia

I agree that orthodox nations (except byzantia) definitely lack quality infantry. Slavonic axemen are rather disadvantage.
But I have no idea about any special russian infantry unit. I'll probably spread varangians more widely through Russia (especialy all the territory between Kiev and Novgorod)

I will probably make a units pack independent on my mod where some of most supported units here (especialy those I like the most) will be included. You can do the same with the units you prefere :go:
it seems that Assassins vindicated their existence
the second clear winners are Turkic Tarkans(I love to have them)
then I'll keep the baltic cavalry, transform hospitaliers into cavary unit and add Mameluk/Moorish infantry.
There will also be Byzantian spearmen and maybe also nakharars, what is total of 6-7 units in my pack

I won't bother myself with the only special bohemian unit as I hate hussites (it was terrible period of my nation's history, thugh we proved opur strength)

Diego
11-02-2006, 22:28
Hi i am new in this forum. I love this game. I am from Poland :biggrin:
ok.. i am vote Assasins. Its a good type Arabian soldiers/assasins.

hawk_knight
11-02-2006, 23:31
I voted for byzantian spearmen and Castilian Spearmen there is enough horsemen in the game but not inof spearmen :wink:

Shane
12-02-2006, 01:53
Hmm, I voted for Hospitaller cavalry, assasins, baltic cavalry, and Kern.

I was wondering: What is Kern?:scratch:
I'm mostly Irish, but I didn't even know that some kind of soldier called Kern existed in the Middle Ages.
Could you describe (I always like learning Irish history; I have some of the old Irish royal blood from the time when the High King ruled at Tara).