PDA

View Full Version : The Game I've Been Looking For! Thanks KoH!

candelarius
11-02-2006, 15:28
Greetings, KoH Community.

I'm a moderator from the Rome Total Realism site and noticed a discussion of this game on our discussion board. At one of your fan's suggestions, I decided to pick this game up and give it a try.

Wow, am I glad I did! I'm a pc game junkie, but I have no idea how this game slipped under my radar. I had never even heard of it prior to this week. I downloaded the demo, and, after only a half hour of game play, I ran out to Micro Center and slapped down 30 bucks for the game.

Thanks to KoH, I have barely slept this week. I love the dynamic strategy map, the look and feel of the game, the challenging and engaging epic feel of the game, and I even like the 2D "old school" style graphics. This truly is the pc strategy game I've been looking for. It seems to be the perfect blend of the best elements from Civilization and Medieval Total War.

Thanks so much for a great game!

Your Newest Fan, :hello:

Candelarius

EDIT: I have a few questions about the game that I thought I would add in here.

1. How do you change the game speed? I can't seem to locate a button in the GUI anywhere, although I'm probably missing this I guess. Also, I saw elsehwere here that you can press F11 to display a count-down clock (?). Is there a list, in game, of keyboard short cuts like this? What other functions are available? I don't recall seeing this in the manual.

2. How do you transfer units between Marshalls? I saw that some players use a low skill Marshall to "carry" elite units from the Home Provinces to the border campaign(s) where the high-skilled Marshall is doing most of the work. This seems like a good idea, but, I can't seem to figure out how to get the squads from one Marshall to the next.

3. Is there a way, in-game, to few unit stats without having to extract the txt files?

Thanks!

Ammurit
11-02-2006, 21:37
EDIT: I have a few questions about the game that I thought I would add in here.

1. How do you change the game speed? I can't seem to locate a button in the GUI anywhere, although I'm probably missing this I guess. Also, I saw elsehwere here that you can press F11 to display a count-down clock (?). Is there a list, in game, of keyboard short cuts like this? What other functions are available? I don't recall seeing this in the manual.

2. How do you transfer units between Marshalls? I saw that some players use a low skill Marshall to "carry" elite units from the Home Provinces to the border campaign(s) where the high-skilled Marshall is doing most of the work. This seems like a good idea, but, I can't seem to figure out how to get the squads from one Marshall to the next.

3. Is there a way, in-game, to few unit stats without having to extract the txt files?

Thanks!

Hello Candelarius,

I have a few answers for you. Game speed can be changed by pressing + and - in the number pad on your keyboard. The speed can go from 0.5 to 8.0. I don't know about the other keyboard shortcuts though.

As far as transferring troops from one marshall to another, you might try bringing your transferring marshall and his troops to the marshall you wish to give the troops to. Then exile the transferring marshall. If I'm not mistaken, his troops will be left as a mercenary camp. The higher-skilled marshall can then go to the camp and get the units for free. You could also bring your transferring marshall to a town near the receiving marshall and transfer the troops into that town's garrison. The receiving marshall can then go to that town and get the troops from the garrison. Of course, the garrison holds only six units, rather than all nine from the marshall's army.

You can view unit stats by going to the in-game reference tables (I think it's the second button from the left at the bottom of the screen). From that menu, choose Military Units. Then choose the unit you want to look up.

I'm glad you enjoy the game so much!

candelarius
11-02-2006, 21:57
Hello Candelarius,

I have a few answers for you. Game speed can be changed by pressing + and - in the number pad on your keyboard. The speed can go from 0.5 to 8.0. I don't know about the other keyboard shortcuts though.

I should have thought of that! Thanks!

As far as transferring troops from one marshall to another, you might try bringing your transferring marshall and his troops to the marshall you wish to give the troops to. Then exile the transferring marshall. If I'm not mistaken, his troops will be left as a mercenary camp. The higher-skilled marshall can then go to the camp and get the units for free. You could also bring your transferring marshall to a town near the receiving marshall and transfer the troops into that town's garrison. The receiving marshall can then go to that town and get the troops from the garrison. Of course, the garrison holds only six units, rather than all nine from the marshall's army.

So you can't just drag them someway between marshalls, eh? Ok, thanks for the info. ;-)

You can view unit stats by going to the in-game reference tables (I think it's the second button from the left at the bottom of the screen). From that menu, choose Military Units. Then choose the unit you want to look up.

I'm glad you enjoy the game so much!

Thanks a ton! :go:

Doux
11-02-2006, 22:09
As far as transferring troops from one marshall to another, you might try bringing your transferring marshall and his troops to the marshall you wish to give the troops to. Then exile the transferring marshall. If I'm not mistaken, his troops will be left as a mercenary camp. The higher-skilled marshall can then go to the camp and get the units for free.
This method (exiling) removes ALL experience from the units and I would never recommend doing it. It's easy to use cities to move units between Marshals.

hawk_knight
11-02-2006, 23:36
welcome to the forum candelarius :halloha:

For transferrig troops the method that doux wrote is the best way to do it :wink:

and if you gat any new questions just ask :go:

Lord_Nick
12-02-2006, 03:35
With respect to game speed, you can also toggle between game speed 1.0 and 10.0 by using the "*" key. I spend most of the game at speed 10 and use the pause button when I need to make some decisions.

With respect to transferring units, for siege equipment, you will have to camp that outside the castle since there are no spots for it in the garrison. The new marshal can pick it up there.

Traveller
12-02-2006, 15:34
And about the hot keys, we should also mention another very important, but not so well-known key - the pausing key "Pause Break" (above the Numpad, near Scroll Lock and Print Screen). :wink:

Angryminer
12-02-2006, 16:36
Another "secret" key is the numpad-/, which toggles the transparency of buildings. :go:

Angryminer

Ammurit
12-02-2006, 18:56
This method (exiling) removes ALL experience from the units and I would never recommend doing it. It's easy to use cities to move units between Marshals.

That's good to keep in mind.

candelarius
12-02-2006, 22:30
I pretty much just leave the time setting to the default (which I guess is 1.00?), and use the pause key to issue orders. If I go faster I start to lose track of what's going on and start to queue up lots of notices. I tend to really micromanage and watch the rest of the map to see who is fighting with who alot.

Anguille2
13-02-2006, 08:25
I pretty much just leave the time setting to the default (which I guess is 1.00?), and use the pause key to issue orders. If I go faster I start to lose track of what's going on and start to queue up lots of notices. I tend to really micromanage and watch the rest of the map to see who is fighting with who alot.

I do the same as you do :wink:

Welcome in the forums!!!

qorda
13-02-2006, 12:05
I pretty much just leave the time setting to the default I tend to really micromanage and watch the rest of the map to see who is fighting with who alot.
Welcome to the forum candelarius. I agree with you. However in the begining of the game if you start with a small kingdom, speed key is useful but later when you expand normal speed is quite okay if you enjoy management more than battles. :cheers: