PDA

View Full Version : Romania

Elewyn
22-02-2004, 22:59
Hi, I can see here more Romanians. So, WELCOME, lord Alex.
I have a question for you. Here are 2 posts about romanian history. I'm sorry for bothering you with these long posts, but can you tell me which of them is closer to truth? I hoe al nations are able to se their history not from natoinal view, but view of truth...
here they are.
Action:Wel... I'm from Romania so I got a bit upseat seeing what some of you sayd about Transilvania...so here a history leason of what hapend:
In the past Transilvania, Moldavia and The Countrey of Romania, warr 3 independent countreys having in common They'r religion, language (with some diferences ofcourse) and borders.
Manny times when one of the 3 countreys warr attacked the other 2 jumped in to help.
Time past and outside of the borders of the 3 small independent countreys 3 large empires started to take shape.(The Tzarist Empire-wich is now Rusia-to the north-est, The Otoman Empire-now Turkey- to the south, and The Austro-Hungar Empire -now Hungury, Germany,Polland-to the west.
The 3 small countreys warr in the middle of the 3 empires.
Than The Otoman Empire invaded The Countrey of Romania. Moldavia with the help of The Tzarist Empire freed back the invaded countrey with the price of loosing some land to the Tzar.
Than The Austo-Hungar Empire started invading Transilvania. Here Moldavia again comed in to help defending theyr neigbor, but the war was lost in the end.
So again time past(about 100 years) and the conquered countrey Transilvania was populated by peoples from the Austro-Hungar empire, but the majority warr stil local transilvanians wich wanted freedom.
So an aliance was forged betwen The Romanian Countrey and Moldavia. Batles warr fought and wictory was in sight. Than a unexpected thing hapend.
The Otoman Empire(now allied with the Austro-Hungar Empire started theyr attacks on The Romanian Countrey, these pulling back the armyes of Moldavia and Romanian Countrey from the battles for freedom of Transilvania.
Time past again and an ideea started to forge, the ideea of the 3 countreys geting united under one single flag started to cross peples mind from all aover the 3 lands.
Batles War fought again and again, until finally Moldavia and The Romanian Countrey freed Transilvania and finnaly joined toghether as one State, one people. (The new land becomed Romania)
The only problem remaining was the peoples of the Austro-hungar empire wich mooved in doring the ocupatin of Transilvania. They started talks like these was theyr land since ever and that they'r persecuted in theyr homes. NONE of that i's true.
Reaction:History doesn't begin by struggle between these 3 empires, but far earlier.
Transylvania WAS part of Hungary (kingdom of Hungary) since its beggining, like Slovakia was. During midage Transylvania was colonizated by Germans and Hungarians, who established there 7 major towns/cities (in czech it's called "Sedmihradsko", Land of 7 castles), but, of course, they never were majority of population, but leading force, as it happened in Silesia and for short time in Bohemia also. This happened untill 15th century, when massive invasion of Ottoman Turks smashed forces of Hungarian and Bohemian king Luis in 1526 in Battle of Mohács. King died and Hungary, and Bohemia became lands of house of Habsburg, including Transdylvania.
But Transylvania was a bit more independent(local nobility, as if in whole Hungarian kingdom, was very strong) so it became half-independent state balancing between struggeling Habsburgs and Ottomans.

Final winners were Habsburgs, Austro-Hungarian empire and Transylvania was maybe colonizated again.

After WW1 it became pert of Romania, like Slovakia became part of Czechoslovakia, even if both were parts of Hungarian state from the time when modern states formed in centra Europe (9th century), but etnicaly were non-Hungarian in majority. But untill today there is large minority of Hungarians in both Transylvania and Slovakia.

Nike
23-02-2004, 13:35
Yeah, I would like to learn more about Romanian history, too! I don't know much, although we're neighbors (when Romania was created we were under Turkish rule). I know only that we were close with the Wallachs, who lived in todays Romania and that in Romania were our revolutionary bases.

I hope Alex can explain us!

Jorghan
23-02-2004, 13:54
The thing is, there is no such thing as absolute truth. The winner always writes the history. And everything that happened so long ago is not much more than hearsay and guesses.

Vajk
25-02-2004, 01:28
@Elewyn,
to answer to your question the second quote is the truth (in sort) ! Unfortunately today's Romanians has a hard time to take the historic fact that Transylvania (Erdely) was part of Hungary or under Hungarian influence for the better part of the last millenium. Therefore they are always come up with recently fabricated history of their own to change the facts to brainwash their people about Transylvania history!

No offence to Romanians but that's the fact, sadly!

Elewyn
25-02-2004, 09:35
Sorry, Vajk, but what do you mean with "better" part of the millenium?
Better it is fro you, for Romanians better is when it's part of their state. Understand?
I have many argies about which time period was better and which not. Fact is that every period is DIFFERENT, some things are better, some worse. Don't behave the same way as your opponents do.
When I tell you Slovakia, what you'll answer me? Without national point, please.
I don't wanna argue here, only find the way which the people interested in that problem can agree with.

Jorghan
25-02-2004, 10:16
better part = largest part, most part, longer part

Vajk
26-02-2004, 17:03
Originally posted by Elewyn
Sorry, Vajk, but what do you mean with "better" part of the millenium?
Better it is fro you, for Romanians better is when it's part of their state. Understand?
I have many argies about which time period was better and which not. Fact is that every period is DIFFERENT, some things are better, some worse. Don't behave the same way as your opponents do.
When I tell you Slovakia, what you'll answer me? Without national point, please.
I don't wanna argue here, only find the way which the people interested in that problem can agree with.

I think Jorghan answered you what "better part" meant!

Now about Slovakia, sorry mate but the truth is there was no Slovakia as a country before 1918 as you know very well I think. Slovakia was a part of the Hungarian kingdom ( historic lands of the crown of Saint Stephen) for thousand year!
I tell you a funny story of mine regarding Slovakia. Well to cut the long story sort I run into a Slovakian history book here in the US not long ago and after run through the topics and read into it a little bit I'd find it surprising that the book barely mentioned Hungary and being part of Hungary before 1918 what so ever. I find this ridiculous! So much for being nationalist in central Europe in the 21 century! I don't know why it is so hard for few country (nationality) in central Europe to admit their own history.

Elewyn
26-02-2004, 19:13
How old the book was? But yes, that can be true. But true also is that Slovaks lived in Hungary from the beggining and after 1918 were some kind of winners, as other central european nations. Fact is that area of Slovakia as no historical land should have been chosen better. But we can't change history now.

I have another story like that. Do you know when the history of Lorraine beggins (in France)? in 17th century.