PDA

View Full Version : Too Easy

Vampire
17-02-2006, 01:55
Hail Knights of Honor fans,

I want to know what you guys think of the difficulty level of Knights of Honor.

First of all, i really like this game.
It reminds me a little of the game: Master of Magic.
(but with knights instead of gnolls, elves and trolls : )

But it is way too easy for me. :sad:
Even on hard and starting with Cyprus of Jerusalem i kick the ai's butt.
Enemy knights barely even get a chance to attack my towns.
When i have conquered half of Europe i still encounter towns that are barely developed by the enemy and are easy to take control of.

I really have to declare war with all of the other provinces to get a bit of a challenge. It took me just 2 days to become elected as the ruler of Europe.

This dissapoints me, because it is a problem i find in most games.
As i said, this game is just great. You dont need 3D to make a game rock.
Gameplay is the most important factor. But the ai's are sissies.

BTW: i never fight in "batlle-mode", i dont even bother because the outcome of the battles is predictable: WIN. And i really dont care if i lose 1 squad of swordsman during an battle / siege, LOL :lol:

Anyway, i thought, maybe i can play Europe against other players online, who can give me some challenge, but it is not possible : )

Keep up the good work guys, maybe it is a good idea to create a game with this engine, but with Master of Magic "setting" ?
(magic, trolls, caves, treasures and more)

Gallifrey
17-02-2006, 04:29
Check the available mods, there are many that improve the AI difficulty in many ways.

As for a game with a "Master Of Magic" setting, there are already plenty out there. Good historical strategy games seem to get more and more rare.
That said, Stardock, the developer that made the excellent Galactic Civilizations and just released sequel have a fantasy game planned for 2008, rumour being a new Master Of Magic game at that.

qorda
17-02-2006, 13:00
:cool: Welcome Vampire; are u playing on the hard level? If not try that. Also if you will play tactical battles yourself, your losses will be more than you think at least in the beggining and AI wont look that stupid as some people believe. Result of all tactical battles is not "WIN". :wink:

Angryminer
17-02-2006, 15:11
Result of all tactical battles is not "WIN". It is for more experienced players. I usually don't fight the battles myself so I have more losses. And that is without using the AI's errors.
But what I suggest is deactivating the "Pause during battles"-option when you create a game. That will increase the bar significantly.
Oh, and using a mod is a pre-requirement before talking about difficulty-levels. The unmodded game is really by far too easy.
Try Laudan's mod "Hard" or some other mod around. Whatever suits you. :wink:

Angryminer

Vasiliy
17-02-2006, 22:39
I have the same problem - too easy.

But I want to install mod that only will change AI. I don't want new rules, units e.t.c.

Could somebody recommend me such mod?

Lighthope
18-02-2006, 03:38
I have the same problem - too easy.

But I want to install mod that only will change AI. I don't want new rules, units e.t.c.

Could somebody recommend me such mod?

I don't think any of the mods change the AI as that requires reprogramming. All the mods do is change the balance to give the AI more advantage and/or give the AI better choices to make.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - Earth is full. Go home!

--== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS: http://www.dwad.net
--== TIGERS' QUEST: http://www.tigersquest.com
--== Everlasting Films Call Board: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/everlastingfilms

Vampire
19-02-2006, 15:47
Check the available mods, there are many that improve the AI difficulty in many ways.

Ok, thanks for the tip, maybe i will sometime...

As for a game with a "Master Of Magic" setting, there are already plenty out there. Good historical strategy games seem to get more and more rare.

Can u give me some of the best game titles of that genre?

In MoM, i really liked the diplomacy, the magic (nature, fire etc) and the creatures. Also, the turn-based combat.
Ofcourse, master of magic is very outdated right now.
But back then, it was one of the best games i was playing.
It is nice to see that some of you out there still know this game : )

That said, Stardock, the developer that made the excellent Galactic Civilizations and just released sequel...

I will check Galactic Civ website, never heard of that game before.
Maybe i will try it sometime...

...have a fantasy game planned for 2008, rumour being a new Master Of Magic game at that.

2008...that will take a while but thanks for letting me know about this.

Gallifrey
19-02-2006, 16:18
Can u give me some of the best game titles of that genre?

In MoM, i really liked the diplomacy, the magic (nature, fire etc) and the creatures. Also, the turn-based combat.
Ofcourse, master of magic is very outdated right now.
But back then, it was one of the best games i was playing.
It is nice to see that some of you out there still know this game : )

Have you played any of the games in the Age Of Wonders series? There's Age Of Wonders, AoW2 and Age Of Wonders:Shadow Magic (the latter is the best I feel). Lots of races to play, turn-based combat, magic, etc.
There's the Heroes Of Might And Magic games and the Disciples games too. Turn-based all, though diplomacy is unfortunately lacking (at least in Disciples, I never really played the HoMM games too much).
You don't seem to have an aversion to older games, so there's the two Warhammer fantasy titles, Shadow Of The Horned Rat and Dark Omen.

Do take a look at Age Of Wonders though (either AoW2 or Shadow Magic).

Vampire
19-02-2006, 16:28
:cool: Welcome Vampire; are u playing on the hard level? If not try that. Also if you will play tactical battles yourself, your losses will be more than you think at least in the beggining and AI wont look that stupid as some people believe. Result of all tactical battles is not "WIN". :wink:

As I mentioned, yes i play on hard level.
And i havent tried this, but i think that i can even win the game when building nothing but peasants and storm every town from the beginning. LOL
(2 or 3 teams of 2 marshalls, peasants, WIN)

I've been elected 2 times now, and im getting bored playing this game.
That is quite a shame, because i really liked this game until i found out that it was so damn easy to win. Maybe ill try one of the mods.

My summary:
------------
Diplomacy: GREAT!
Units: GOOD
Buildings: GOOD
Map: GOOD
Battles: AVERAGE
Difficulty: POOR
Multiplayer: POOR
Overall: GOOD (for beginners)

I Like the way this game suprises you now and then with revolts, rebels and diplomacy. You can plan things out before doing stuff but you dont know for sure if things will work out the way you planned.
(like recruiting until all of the food is empty, and send off your armies, then get attacked by rebels or enemies and not being able to counter the attackers)
I like that sort of things happening in games. Predictable things are not fun and too easy.
--
Have you played any of the games in the Age Of Wonders series? There's Age Of Wonders, AoW2 and Age Of Wonders:Shadow Magic (the latter is the best I feel). Lots of races to play, turn-based combat, magic, etc.
There's the Heroes Of Might And Magic games and the Disciples games too. Turn-based all, though diplomacy is unfortunately lacking (at least in Disciples, I never really played the HoMM games too much).
You don't seem to have an aversion to older games, so there's the two Warhammer fantasy titles, Shadow Of The Horned Rat and Dark Omen.

Do take a look at Age Of Wonders though (either AoW2 or Shadow Magic).

"Vampire opens new browser to check on google for AoW..." : )

Thanks again.
I really dislike HoMaM. But i will check out the AoW series.

Shane
19-02-2006, 18:02
Wow, recently I was playing as Normandy in Early, (reunited England), and I'd conquered all the British Isles, and conquered and inherited most of Spain, and I'd gotten a lot of provinces elsewhere as well.
The interesting thing, was that, (although this was quite a bit into the game), I found the AI was actually building bulwarks!
Now, I'm used to the occasional palisade at the beginning of the game, but, even mid-late game, I'd never seen the AI build stone walls.
Then, I actually saw the enemy produce crossbowmen, jinetes, and other advanced units (not mercs, I actually saw them available in the units part of the political map), and furthermore, actually convert some provinces to the Catholic religion! (I'd never, ever, seen an AI convert provinces).
Then, I actually had a bit of difficulty conquering provinces that had advanced units defending (although the AI still suffered from the usual retardedness they have when they're defending a castle).
Anyway, that was actually the best game I've had so far!

Vasiliy
19-02-2006, 23:13
I don't think any of the mods change the AI as that requires reprogramming. All the mods do is change the balance to give the AI more advantage and/or give the AI better choices to make.

Ok. And which mod do it?

Shane
20-02-2006, 01:29
All the mods try and make the AI better.
Three of the best, are Elvain's Holy Rome mod, Angryminer's Glory of God mod, and Laudan's Hard mod.

Elvain
20-02-2006, 03:20
I would say also Douxes Name of the Rose mod :wink: (or maybe I would replace mod HARD by NotR mod as I like it more.. but it's just my personal preference..)

DaVinci
21-02-2006, 11:18
Which mods also have removed the exotic goods from the game, i only know it about Laudan's great and really partially hard "Mod Hard Invasion".

You guys know, the AI cannot import these goods to improve the kingdom advantages, so i absolutely see the need for the absence of exotic goods. I don't like to have "cheat"-advantages compared to the AI.

Well, also, the AI in Mod Hard Inv. always appears with ca. 3 armies incl. reinforcements and sends further reinforcements if they lost one army, if you play with NO PAUSE for the battles. Furthermore it builds all defences and units incl. seige-equipment quite soon. If you are already quite hated by your neighbors, and you leave your regions to conquer any region with your armies, they fall into your lands in masses and you loose your beloved towns. In which other mods i can experience this also?

I'm interessed to play also other mods ... until now, i tested only Mod Hard and GoG.

Elvain
21-02-2006, 11:37
Well, instead of removing something I prefere to enable it also to AI, so in HR1.7 there are exotics transformed to valuables, so also AI can get them.

This mod is not as military orientated as MOD HARD, but I prefere to improve Ai's economical strength and stability that leads to better military challenge

DaVinci
21-02-2006, 11:45
Well, instead of removing something I prefere to enable it also to AI, so in HR1.7 there are exotics transformed to valuables, so also AI can get them.

This mod is not as military orientated as MOD HARD, but I prefere to improve Ai's economical strength and stability that leads to better military challenge

Thanks Elvain, anyway, i will test your mod, it's on the list at the top. I think i will add in some things from Mod Hard Invasion (and Classic) though, i really like the challenge if they invade your regions in the real sense of the word. And i always make some own changed preferences. But in any case i like your idea to change the exotic goods into normal goods, thanks for the hint ... well, they able to import over merchants or over the exotic-slot?

Elvain
21-02-2006, 11:51
it's not my idea, but Angryminer's

they are able tzo build buildings that are required to get them...

DaVinci
21-02-2006, 11:53
it's not my idea, but Angryminer's

they are able tzo build buildings that are required to get them...

...aha...alright.