PDA

View Full Version : Arrow supply?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Lord_MacLeod
27-02-2004, 16:32
Hi!
I've read that the archers can only carry a limited amount of arrows. Well, I think that's an interesting and realistic feature but how can I ensure the ammo supply?
Will there be a kind of "supply cart" (like the ammo trucks in Sudden Strike e.g.) which's supporting the units during battles, or do I have to return to base getting my units refilled their quivers?
I hope the archers don't become useless after having fired their last arrow...;)

Greetings,
Mac

Frank Fay
27-02-2004, 16:56
The plan is that when a battle rises you have full refilled ammo. If you spent your arrows then the archers have to be pulled back out of danger or they can only fight hand-to-hand were they are weak. But when the battle ends then the arrows get refilled again.

Lord_MacLeod
27-02-2004, 17:07
Thanks for the quick answer. :)
However, this makes me more curious. :D
Won't there be any long lasting battles then?
Do you plan the game featuring rather quick fights ("rush-style") than complex military maneuvers?
How will you solve the problem with sieges? What, if units (aggressors AND defenders) run out of ammo?
Sorry for nerving you, but that's quite important for me. *g*

Greetings,
Mac

ArmosaDrako
27-02-2004, 18:12
Interesting, I like it....full arrows then you battle and of course during battle you can't make more arrows, you're too busy fighting, but when battle is over, full arrows again because now you have time to make them, nice feature...

dearmad
27-02-2004, 18:51
That rocks! Excellent addition to the game! Will help balance archers!

Frank Fay
27-02-2004, 19:11
Won't there be any long lasting battles then?

It really depends. Archers are a very tactical weapon...if used properly. The battles are long enough that that the arrow limitation WILL play a role.

timurlenk
27-02-2004, 19:13
yeah, that rocks!

i love this "limited amount of ammunition" idea; guess i've been waiting for this feature my whole life...

but that not all...
"arrows can also kill allies". too great to believe. (sticking finger into left eye - ouch, its real :cheers: :cheers: )

Frank Fay
27-02-2004, 19:15
How will you solve the problem with sieges?
There is no problem, a siege is no fight in KoH. A siege means that troops are camping outside of a castle and cut all supplies to the town / castle. This happens in the World View. If you decide to break out or enemy to assault, then the game switches into the Close View and the ammo limitation comes into place.

You can give your archers the order not shoot, or to shoot only when enemy on sight, stand ground etc. That they dont waste ammo.

If units run out of ammo they fight hand to hand with a short sword. But they are very weak...

Justinian
27-02-2004, 23:10
Is there any idea of about how many arrows each archer will carry?

spacegodzilla
28-02-2004, 00:21
This is one of the most realistic (and therefore, totally awesome) medieval games I've ever seen.

I'm drooling.

Henrik
28-02-2004, 01:09
Originally posted by Frank Fay
There is no problem, a siege is no fight in KoH. A siege means that troops are camping outside of a castle and cut all supplies to the town / castle. This happens in the World View. If you decide to break out or enemy to assault, then the game switches into the Close View and the ammo limitation comes into place.

I think this feature is nice, coz this will prevent the player from just putting the archers out on the "sideline" and then having them shooting and shooting through the whole battle ie. it's quite obvious that you'll have to make use of'em in wise manner :)

You can give your archers the order not shoot, or to shoot only when enemy on sight, stand ground etc. That they dont waste ammo.
[/B]

Stand ground I really like this one Frank - ie. it seems that you're sorta handling one of my greatest concerns very well :) - but will they always stand ground ? - even if the archers is attacked by a charging cavalery wont they flee if they are low on morale ?

Lord_MacLeod
28-02-2004, 02:53
Hmm, okay. Nice features. :)
But i've still questions left. :D

What if an enemy attacks my castle or the other way around?
What happens when I ran out of ammo while defending my castle from the ramparts? If the defending archers and crossbowmen have no more ammunition left the castle would be almost indefensible.
So is the gameplay then limited to field battles only (I've to leave the castle with my army to fight the enemy)?

Greetings,
Mac

greywulf
28-02-2004, 06:50
That's a pretty good point about archers in their castle running out of arrows like archers on the field. It might be too much micromanagement to stockpile arrows but will archers defending castles have any bonuses?

Frank Fay
28-02-2004, 10:53
even if the archers is attacked by a charging cavalery wont they flee if they are low on morale ?
They flee and they may even surrender, depending on own condition (morale, enemy positions, attacking unit type, heavy losses etc.) and enemy condition (morale, unit count etc.).

If the defending archers and crossbowmen have no more ammunition left the castle would be almost indefensible.
No, your towers can have a ballista inside. Also the drum towers can be equipped with catapults. And not to forget you can have also oil cauldrons. Also a battle is not lost when the enemy units passed the wall...the fight continues inside the castle of course.

Also imagine, when you attack a castle without archers, your soldiers are an easy target for the archers from the castle walls. But if you took archers yourself....well they can also run out of arrows. So archers are a really tactical weapon with pros and cons.

but will archers defending castles have any bonuses?
Yes they can shoot down from walls and through the height farther than the attackers from ground.

Bora
28-02-2004, 11:35

If units run out of ammo they fight hand to hand with a short sword. But they are very weak...

i know that from MTW. archers and crossbowman a great support and help for the troops, but worthless if they are out of ammo. and if you dont have much other troops you are in trouble if the enemy is overnumbered :D

Elewyn
28-02-2004, 12:27
Oh, I can imagine now the battle in KoH. It's almost like real battle. Thanks, guys :cheers:

Lord_MacLeod
28-02-2004, 12:40
Yes, that all sounds great!
I can't wait to see it.

:)

Greetings,
Mac

Henrik
28-02-2004, 14:05
I have an suggestion on this archers-in-castles-running-out-arrows issue:

Why not make it so the archers in castles are able to sorta refill their quivers once or twice - to simulate that the castle has a stockpile of arrows ;)

or

The archers which are "attaached" to castles should have more arrows than archers in an army on the march.

What do the rest of ya think about that ?

Angryminer
28-02-2004, 15:22
Just supply them with doubled arrow-numbers and we're fine.

Angryminer

Bubino
01-03-2004, 14:33
about archers and arrows, i've seen in two screenshots archers with fire arrows....

this depends on any special skill of the knight leading the army (and the archers), or depends only on the archers type (for example, there are archers that can use fire arrows in battle, and there are archers that cannot.), or depends only on the type of battle (for example, in siege battle archers can have fire arrows, in open field battle they cannot) ?

i presume the first or the last answer are probably more right, because in the second case there must be some archers types, but in the unit showcase there is only one unit simply called "archers".

thanks for answers! :)