PDA

View Full Version : Franks Fay, read this!

Pages : [1] 2

Maizena
27-02-2004, 20:12
We (hope there are others) need at least some "micromanagement". The game looks so cool! But my guess is, that there are many people that just wants to start up a game, build a nation and then sit and enjoy it all, and fix something here and there. It may not be in your will to do this, but it would give the game yet another of the small details that makes a game brilliant!

Arkfeld
27-02-2004, 20:16
The small details are always good. But there needs to be a time when you draw the line. I was reading the other day about some kid wanting to name the children of the kingdom. And something else about letting transport ships getting away after an attack. Just keep in mind that the game can in gay in an instant, just like a song from an artist

Frank Fay
27-02-2004, 20:50
It has never been said that the game wont feature any micromanagement. It will have micromanagement where needed. Also the game has undergone a few changes the past few months and a lot of things which evolved will please you. However, it is a thin line when micromanagement will become pain and we do not want to cross this line for the sake of having a micromangement beast. But I really can say there is plenty of micromanagement but from a King's point of view...

Frujin
27-02-2004, 21:14
Yeah, right ... :cool:

Maizena
27-02-2004, 21:18
ok, I thank for such a quick answer :) another question i have is: if i'm in close view, will I then be able to scroll around the map all over europe? or do I have to get in world view first. Is it only possible for me to get in close view when something spectacular occurs?

Henrik
28-02-2004, 01:28
Originally posted by Maizena
We (hope there are others) need at least some "micromanagement". The game looks so cool! But my guess is, that there are many people that just wants to start up a game, build a nation and then sit and enjoy it all, and fix something here and there. It may not be in your will to do this, but it would give the game yet another of the small details that makes a game brilliant!

KoH is not Simcity - ie. though Franks states that there will be micromanagement you ALWAYS have to keep in mind that the goal of the game is to conquer europe and with 150+ realms you probably don't have the time to "just sit back and watch".

Maizena
28-02-2004, 09:26
sure i have.. counquering all europe in short time, and doing this over and over again, is not so funny.. what makes a game good to play and what makes it last longer is the small details..

Frujin
28-02-2004, 10:34
It is not possible to conquer Europe in short time. Not at all. If you do it - it a MAJOR victory condition. But as a designer I'm trying to be sure that all we have fun doing it. And next time also. And if you loose - also.

Alex
29-02-2004, 08:07
I really wnat to build my gates walls towers and other stuff everywhere I want.

Bora
29-02-2004, 18:07
Originally posted by Frujin
It is not possible to conquer Europe in short time. Not at all. If you do it - it a MAJOR victory condition. But as a designer I'm trying to be sure that all we have fun doing it. And next time also. And if you loose - also.

i love when the game is only over when oyur are beaten or just when you choose "quit game"
also the makers of RTW have seen that the fans didnt like it that MTW had a (timeset)end and you will be able to play it as long as you like, even if you have con quered the whole map.

and about fast conquering eruope: i am glad that this will not possible. where would be the challenge if the enemy gets beaten to fast and easy? :)

Haegemon
01-03-2004, 21:24
Originally posted by Alex
I really wnat to build my gates walls towers and other stuff everywhere I want.

You will build gates where will be a "road". And the "roads" can be changed. :D

The towers are strong structures which suports the walls. Can't be placed everywhere unless you were arquitect. :D

Frank Fay
02-03-2004, 22:31
You can build towers or ad new gates. But as a "whole" for a city, means you have a wall or dont have a wall. And you can upgrade the wall or you can build towers etc. We have now so many possible upgrades in the game, you would not even want to bother to build a single tower if possible. We had that opportunity in the game and in fact has not been used it.... So we discussed, decided and tested and found this solution fitting better to a global game as KoH is. If we would have only a few castles, it would be different but ... hey, we have a huge map with loads of castles/towns and you can still customize them.

Sir Turylon
03-03-2004, 00:50
so, the upgrades are going to be put the same place, for each castle?

IE... upgrade towers on wall, it puts 4 new towers along the wall without any customizing the positions those towers would be built.

Frank Fay
03-03-2004, 08:45
yes, exactly....

kowd
03-03-2004, 09:53
that's what I wanted to hear! I'm fed up with the games where you have to go into minor details in order to just build a decent castle. Furthermore, I think this way would be more realistic - a king usually just orders one of his castles to be "upgraded" with towers or something and then engineers and experts (!?) opt for the best possible location.
---
I only fear that all the castles may look comparatively the same.

Frank Fay
03-03-2004, 13:39
No they wont....

we have now 12 levels of development and different castle shapes and different styles of castles (arabic, western and eastern)...

so if you ask me, plenty of diversity....

Angryminer
03-03-2004, 14:04
Different Castle shapes?

Does that mean that if I upgrade ie York and Paris exactly to the same levels (and all buildings etc.) they will still have different shapes in Close View?

Angryminer

timurlenk
03-03-2004, 14:33
ok, there are 12 levels.
3 styles.

but how many shapes will be there?

Elewyn
03-03-2004, 14:44
And will the castles look diferent in diferent periods (early, high, late)??:angel:

Sir Turylon
03-03-2004, 17:16
Originally posted by Elewyn
And will the castles look diferent in diferent periods (early, high, late)??:angel:

ooh, interesting. possibly it could be that certain upgrades are only availiable at certain times.