PDA

View Full Version : About attacking a marching army

Pages : [1] 2

Maizena
28-02-2004, 23:35
If i see an enemy army marching towarss one of my realms, and i decide to ride out with a few calalry archers and shoot on them, will it lower the enemy army's morale to loose some men while marching? would be quite realistic i think

Arab Prince
29-02-2004, 05:30
That will be nice if the enemy army is just foot soldiers with no fast unites. But if enemy have cavilary he will send them to hunt your cavilary archers down.

That was a tactic used by the Turkish during the crusades

Maizena
29-02-2004, 10:57
exactly :D i think it was especially the saracens.. but if the enemy then sends out some cavalry, you just run away into the forest, turn around with reinforcements and slaughter all followers. could be so cool :D

Frank Fay
29-02-2004, 12:32
Yes it is possible but a battle is a fixed event. Two armies meet, 1Knight and 1Squad of any troop type can be armies, then the battle starts. The army continues marching after the battle, if there are any survivors.

Maizena
01-03-2004, 15:59
so it's not up to the players to decide where the battle is going to be fought? you simply agree, the enemy and you, and then march to the site of battle and fight?

Angryminer
01-03-2004, 16:51
Did you see those knights or rebels in the WorldView-Screenshots? They represent an army. You can move those armies around. The enemy in turn controls his armies. When two armies meet a battle begins. Then you will be offered (by the game) to lead the battle youself. If you accept, the game changes into CloseView and you can command the units around. If you deny, the game remains in WorldView and the battle is lead by the corresponding knight.

When Frank says "A battle is a fixed event." he means that you can't send out a unit of mounted archers to hit-and-run the enemy over some days. You will have to move an army (a knight + at least one unit) to the enemy-army before a fight can begin. Then the game changes to CloseView (if you accept the game's offer to lead the battle) and then you may decide to hit-and-run your enemy.
(That would mean: Ride to their peasants, kill some of them, move all your units to the map-boarder. Then the game changes back to WorldView and you can try to do the same again.)

So "fixed event" does _not_ mean that you send a messanger like "Tomorrow 3 o'clock south of Bohemia. Shall the better win!"... That would be stupid ;) .

Angryminer

Henrik
01-03-2004, 17:09
Originally posted by Angryminer
So "fixed event" does _not_ mean that you send a messanger like "Tomorrow 3 o'clock south of Bohemia. Shall the better win!"... That yould ne stupid ;) .

Angryminer

Now that would be very chivalrous of you (sir) Angryminer :) - meeting on the field of honor like the true knight of honor you are ;)

Ohhhh, i forgot ! - here is a link to Regular Order of Saint John of Holy Land ( France ) - Code of Chivalery (http://www.saint-jean.org/CodeofChivaleryRegularOrderofSaintJohn.htm)

Angryminer
01-03-2004, 17:11
Oh, I forgot...
In fact that's the concept of Multiplayer.
Two armies meet on the battlefield and fight until death. ;)

Angryminer

Maizena
01-03-2004, 17:25
ok.. so i can't move military units around without a knight and without having a whole regiment of units?

shagrath_the_dead
01-03-2004, 17:53
Originally posted by Henrik
Now that would be very chivalrous of you (sir) Angryminer :) - meeting on the field of honor like the true knight of honor you are ;)

Ohhhh, i forgot ! - here is a link to Regular Order of Saint John of Holy Land ( France ) - Code of Chivalery (http://www.saint-jean.org/CodeofChivaleryRegularOrderofSaintJohn.htm)

dude
you're trying to show me some cristianity ;)
i don't like that :D

Elewyn
01-03-2004, 17:56
Originally posted by Maizena
ok.. so i can't move military units around without a knight and without having a whole regiment of units? You need atleast one squad for each of your knights. I think it's not revealed yet how it is with forces you keep in fortified outposts, but I hope we can move them inside the realm.

Henrik
01-03-2004, 19:34
Originally posted by Elewyn
You need atleast one squad for each of your knights. I think it's not revealed yet how it is with forces you keep in fortified outposts, but I hope we can move them inside the realm.

I'll agree, i think that outposts are there to provide the troops a better protection than if they had to just camp with their tents - maybe it will be possible to send out patrols to give you an early warning if something are about happen in "the neigbourhood"

Maizena
01-03-2004, 20:52
yeah i agree.. would be kinda "****ty" if you'll need a knight and a complete squad just to move soldiers around.. Much better if you are free to move soldiers alone. A solution could be: when your squad or patrol grows too large, it would require a knight to move. A little silly when you need a knight just to move 3 soldiers if that was your intention.

dearmad
01-03-2004, 20:57
I think it's silly to expect to be able to tell three soldiers without a superior officer to move at all without expecting them to desert.

Moving only by squad makes sense to me. No single guy sent out into the countryside is gonna do exactly as ordered. :p

Maizena
01-03-2004, 21:01
He really should obey :) Like in every other RTS... But i like the sense of reality there is in only allowing soldiers to move around in the country in squads, but it could be nice also to have them moving just in groups of 4 f.e. If they were very clever (I know they are) they could make it harder to be recognized if less soldiers :D

Sir Turylon
01-03-2004, 21:56
hmm, so no hit and run tactics. It would be interesting to see if they force the arabian "lords and knights" to use western tactics.

Henrik
01-03-2004, 22:54
as it is now i think that you can just forget all about moving squads less than 20 unless if they reduced by combat - and then they are probably not any good anyway ie. squad reduced from 20 down to...let's say 5 wouldn't have much morale and would therefore be an easy target.

Frank Fay
02-03-2004, 22:24
let's say 5 wouldn't have much morale and would therefore be an easy target.
Not necessarily. Imagine them being well experienced. And the unit count does not affect the morale. So it is possible to have a squad of 5 highly motivated and well experienced, mmh let's say Saracens you will meet a night marching or on enemy teritory marching army with maybe 2 squads of peasants, maybe they are on their way home or to defend something etc. So it is is possible that my 5 soldiers may beat them. Please dont quote me on exact numbers here but all I am trying to say here. 5 units are not worthless....

You could also use them to lure the enemy....

Henrik
02-03-2004, 23:40
Originally posted by Frank Fay
Not necessarily. Imagine them being well experienced. And the unit count does not affect the morale. So it is possible to have a squad of 5 highly motivated and well experienced, mmh let's say Saracens you will meet a night marching or on enemy teritory marching army with maybe 2 squads of peasants, maybe they are on their way home or to defend something etc. So it is is possible that my 5 soldiers may beat them. Please dont quote me on exact numbers here but all I am trying to say here. 5 units are not worthless....

You could also use them to lure the enemy....

Okay Frank, i'm not gonna quote you on the numbers ;) ( I did it anyway didn't I :D ) - although i would say that 5 against like 40 peasants ougt to give a clear victory *whispering: i know where i would put my money ! * :rolleyes:

We have also talked about whether it's possible to divide a squad into smaller squads/platoons - could you give us a comment on this - or is it to early ?

Frank Fay
03-03-2004, 08:46
It is possible during battle.... maybe Frujin can ad here if needed?