PDA

View Full Version : medieval "feel"

Pikeman
28-10-2003, 12:17
What really bugged me about AoE and lots of other games was that your peasants were like robots: Stand around if you haven't been given any orders; once given orders, work, work, work without a break until there are no more trees to chop, stone to gather or unfinished building sites.
I want to see my peasants talking to their mates while working, taking the odd breather, having an ale or whatever, maybe going to the pub in the evenings. I want to have real people working for me!
And that also goes for the guards around the castle. You could have day watchmen being relieved by night watchmen in the evenings. I hated it in Stronghold where there would be a single guard in a tower who never even seemed to get tired or bored. All in all, I want it as realistic as possible.

Jerome
28-10-2003, 12:59
i see your point; although in AoK the peasants did shelter into the town hall to protect the town when attacked, i agree that to some point peasants can be somewhat boring in the way that they do just what you tell them in a robotic kinda way. Maybe with the day/night cycle in KoH, peasants can go to a pub at night and actually be late for duty the next day, because of that...

:cheers:

Also; for military units i suppose it would be more realistic if they were to have a limited stamina. e.g. they become tired of battle or just walking around alot. For example; in the total war series, armies became tired when they had to walk up hills or had a boost of morale whenever they were commanded by a great general and performed accordingly (i think in that game it was called mood)

All in all; a good point Pikeman and maybe it was/will be considered... :D its things like this that make the game interesting and more realistic.

Frujin
28-10-2003, 15:39
It is considered. In KoH villagers won't just "work, work, work". Also Castle Guards are marching along the walls and perform different duties.

Pikeman
28-10-2003, 16:16
:cheers: :hello: :go: :bday: :angel: :D :p :) :cool:

Carcassone
29-10-2003, 21:04
I for one am happy to see that you guys remembered to make this a game that is a reflection, although make believe for us gamers, of the medieval period. For example, the pics with the village buildings with smoke coming from the chimneys...nice touch guys.

What other features are implemented into the game to realize the "feel" of the medieval period? Court executions? Racks?

Spudster
30-10-2003, 00:48
Maybe if the future you could control a man...like it is actually you...and you just walk around inspecting things...and if you hit a button next to something....it would tell you info about what you are looking at.....or maybe go around and be like a police officer...inspect the town for trouble...or be a general at the back of the battlefield...not just an invisible force telling the army to move and governing a city.....just a thought.....

vyanvotts
30-10-2003, 00:56
Originally posted by Spudster
Maybe if the future you could control a man...like it is actually you...and you just walk around inspecting things...and if you hit a button next to something....it would tell you info about what you are looking at.....or maybe go around and be like a police officer...inspect the town for trouble...or be a general at the back of the battlefield...not just an invisible force telling the army to move and governing a city.....just a thought.....

This aint no RPG :D

Spudster
30-10-2003, 03:17
well sorry....i just said it was an idea...it would be cool if it waas a RPG though...

vyanvotts
30-10-2003, 03:26
ah nooooo rpg

i hate em :D

Spudster
30-10-2003, 03:36
why is that?
so you hate games like Myst, Riven, Exile?
That's to bad:nono:

vyanvotts
30-10-2003, 03:42
yep, sorry to say never managed to get in to them, im more in to rts and fps myself

Jerome
30-10-2003, 11:11
without this game becoming an RPG, it still would be nice if you could walk your king (which is a specific unit, i assume) through a village and the peasants would bow before you... :D

but maybe i'm letting my royal aspirations getting a bit too far...;)

Spudster
31-10-2003, 00:59
Originally posted by Jerome
without this game becoming an RPG, it still would be nice if you could walk your king (which is a specific unit, i assume) through a village and the peasants would bow before you... :D

but maybe i'm letting my royal aspirations getting a bit too far...;)
:cheers: ;)

um..what does rts and fps mean... i know it has to do with types of games.....rts=real time simulation??? fps????

vyanvotts
31-10-2003, 03:11
Originally posted by Spudster
:cheers: ;)

um..what does rts and fps mean... i know it has to do with types of games.....rts=real time simulation??? fps????

i think you quoted the wrong person there mate.

fps=first person shooter, such as medal of honor, battlefeild 1942..

rts, real time strategy, although i basically like all strat games...

im waiting for the game called "Victoria" to come out, looks good. in the europa universallis series....dunno if anyones heard of it though.

Anyway back to topic i think the king is controllable anyway? so you could walk him through the town maybe.....whever your peasants will bow before you or simply ignore you i dont know:confused:

Spudster
01-11-2003, 15:11
Originally posted by vyanvotts
i think you quoted the wrong person there mate.

Oh..hahaha
anyway...a fps would be confusing in this game....