PDA

View Full Version : wood...?

Pages : [1] 2

Bubino
05-03-2004, 12:53
i've seen new screenshots, and i have a question: why stone, lumber, weapons and food are no more in the resources bar in the top of the screen? it's simply a "graphic" choose but lumber ecc... have the same importance in the game, or the importance of these reources is less, or (no, please! :( ) lumber ecc... are completely removed from the game? and, in this case, also villages can only "product" gold, and there arent differences between farms, lumbermills, ecc...?

obvioulsy i hope the first answer is the right one!

and expecially the last is totally wrong!!!!! :mad: :(

Elewyn
05-03-2004, 13:05
Hi, Bubino. I'm affraid you will be disappointed a bit.

Wood and stone are no longer resources in KoH, because, as Frank said, it is almost everywhere in Europe (my note: but not in Africa and near east:scratch: )

I guess food rests, because it's very important. I realized that I don't know what is the status of food now after those changes. Not a resource, but still is produced and kept in castles.

Frank Fay
05-03-2004, 13:07
Okay before speculations are going in the wrong direction:

Global Resources are now:

Gold
Piety
Books (knowledge)

Local resources are:

Serfs
Food

But there are special resources connected to the Kingdom Advantages. We will speak later about it.

Elewyn
05-03-2004, 13:15
Thanks. About whole resource system or only about that other?

If the first, sorry for that question, if the second, please...

What is the difference between local and global?

Local resources counted for each realm (realm of Ausrtia has 15 serves-population and 400food in storage, realm of Tyrolia has 13 and 350 etc.)
and global resources counted for whole kingdom (kgdm of Austria has 57221 gold and 42 piety)

Am I right?

Sorry if always bother with silly questions. But what is the purpouse of boks(knowledge) in game. explain us please..:rolleyes:

Bubino
05-03-2004, 14:04
;( ;( ;( ;(

what's serf?

in these case, every village has the same rule, there is no difference between village near woodland (that produces lumber) and village near mountain (that produces stone); every village produces only food (?) and gold...

i repeat, i respect the realistic point of view about stone and lumber (and weapons too?), they are very common, but in my opinion differences between villages and production was very funny, interesting and important for the game. now the gtame is probably more realistic, but undoubtedly less various.

Frank Fay
05-03-2004, 14:11
but undoubtedly less various

No it isnt. At least that we think. The valuable resources are there and most important in towns is a techtree which affects the realm production and which valuable resources are made available.

Elewyn, you are roughly right. But the gold will be gathered locally too and THEN transfered to the Kingdom.

But more expect soon on this. Same goes for the Valuable Resources and techtree.

Bubino
05-03-2004, 14:49
all right.

but i don't understand a thing: are the village without differences, (i mean strategic and productive differences, not about graphic) , or there are always some differnces between village and village?

thanks for answers! :)

Frank Fay
05-03-2004, 16:34
In realms the town are the centre. The zones make up the rural area.

A zone can be:

- Village (many different appearances)
they grant serfs, which are needed to upgrade the town
also they can give additional gold as taxes (specific buildings have to be build for that feature in the town)

- Monasteries
they produce piety also they can give additional taxes (building needed in town)

- Farms:
they produce food also they can give additional taxes (building needed in town)

- Harbors:
they give you gold (symbolises trades being made there)

To increase a production in the zones (or type of zone). The player can upgrade the town with buildings. One example the Hostel. It gives you +2 serfs in all vilages +1 serf in the town (yes the town produces too). However a Hostel be build when a Inn has been build before and the town has min. level 4.

There is no difference between village and village in the same realm but between a village in realm y and realm x.

Also please know that the gold income of a town will not be directly 100% sent to the kingdom treasury. There is deduction of it, which willl be controlled by the efficiency feature.

Also the upgrades you do in towns can influence specific zone production and/or different type of zones and/or different town production and/or techtree in kingdom and/or army training etc.

Haegemon
05-03-2004, 17:47
As I said in other thread, you could post a "building showcase" in the main page. :scratch:

Frank Fay
05-03-2004, 18:11
the time will come...

Siena
05-03-2004, 18:41
my question is this:
is it possible to capture serfs from the enemy village and bring to your own?

I think this would let player chose an alternative way for "developing" villages :)
Because one of the most taxing things that player has to do in all TBS games - is build up his towns to maximum efficiency - in time it becomes quite boring.
I think capturing serfs would be a very welcome (and historical!) innovation :)

dearmad
05-03-2004, 19:27
So are books sort of a mixture between science and art? So maybe being a patron of the arts or supporting monastic orders that maintain books is a good way to run a kingdom?

That would be so cool! Get your own Medici sponsorship of the arts going!

Bubino
05-03-2004, 21:32
uhm, ok Frank Fai! :)
your answer is very interesting and i like its, but, in my opinion the production of lumber and stone and weapons was very good for game, but, anyway...

probably the idea that lumber and stone are very common and every place in europe can have them is perfectly right.

but my remark is not about THE LUMBER and THE STONE...
(sorry, my english isn't perfect and i cannot explain ina clear way my opinion... :( )
for me in a game like KoH are very important also strategical difference between kingdoms... for example, in a old screenshot i remember a kingdom full of lumbermills, but without villages producing weapons and stone... in that case, the "player" (or CPU) leading that kingdom needs to conquer as soon as possible another kingdom with stones caves... this is funny and very appropriate for a probably (we hope! ;) ) masterpiece like KoH, for me, because the player has to reason... "i need to conquer a kingdom with a lot of stone caves, because in my kingdoms they aren't..." or "that kingdom isn't very rich, but if i conquer its my enemy loses the principal production of weapons..." and much more!
very appropriate!

this is my idea, but i haven't the experience of you Frank, and it's possible that i'm wrong! :)

Frank Fay
05-03-2004, 21:56
Well, maybe it is better to tell you, that some realms have a thing called realm assett. And now, are you sitting mate...we come to the point: that assett exists only in a really few realms ;)

Okay okay okay....now your question "fine but what in the heck I can do with the assett"?

Not only is the assett allowing you to have a real special building, who give you really special nitty gritty bonus, no way....that building may allow you also to build another building, which gives you....a Valuable Resource. And together with maybe other valuable resources or exotic resources you may unlock a Kingdom Advantage to give you a bonus for the entire kingdom.

Btw, you can trade or import a valuable resource from other kingdoms with whom you a trade agreement.

Frank Fay
05-03-2004, 21:59
is it possible to capture serfs from the enemy village and bring to your own?

No not possible, because the serfs do not work as "traditional" resource, as you might be used to it.

Let's assume you want to upgrade or build a structure which costs 100 gold and 10 serfs.

You say upgrade and the 100 gold are spend. But the serfs are working on the upgrade. So means, if you have only 10, then you can not build anything in the realm. Until the serfs end their work.

Frank Fay
05-03-2004, 22:02
The books (knowledge) are produced in Libraries and Universities. They are collected globaly (directly from the towns).

These books are used to upgrade or buy the skills for.... tam tam tam... a Governor.

But more about it DEFINATELY later....

Bora
05-03-2004, 22:17
great news, and thx frank :cheers: :hello: :go: :king:

Bubino
05-03-2004, 22:24
:bday: good!

Siena
05-03-2004, 23:41
Originally posted by Frank Fay
No not possible, because the serfs do not work as "traditional" resource, as you might be used to it.

Let's assume you want to upgrade or build a structure which costs 100 gold and 10 serfs.

You say upgrade and the 100 gold are spend. But the serfs are working on the upgrade. So means, if you have only 10, then you can not build anything in the realm. Until the serfs end their work.

thanks for the reply, Frank Fay.

I can imagine the economic system a little bit.
So, will the number of serfs change in the province which is involved in war for a long time?
I understand, that serfs will be drafted in the army. Also, we will get new serfs by waiting or making town upgrades.

(I still think, it would be quite cool to be able to capture serfs from the enemy :) - say player attacks enemy province and wins a battle there, or plunders a farm - and gets one serf - and enemy looses one :))

Anyway, even if we cannot capture serfs - it would be great if raiding would be rewarded somehow - the primary reason for raiding was to capture slaves and plunder some stuff. If was not only done to devastate enemy.

:cheers:

Frank Fay
06-03-2004, 09:21
The serfs are not recruited for army. That is the population in the city. Serfs and Population = two different things.