PDA

View Full Version : No game is perferct - thats what modders are for

Shand
29-10-2003, 02:55
As many people have said, theyve waited a long time for the game they want to coem along. There have been many that come close. My personal favourite is the totalwar series. But this game is still not perfect.

Thats why there has been so many great mods done for MTW.

My question is. How easy will it be to mod KOH and what sort of support will be given to modders. Over at the Totalwar.org forums the CA devs from MTW are always willing to help us out when questions come up regarding certain aspects of the game.
I really think these days a game needs to be easily modifed to prolong its life. as with MTW it was in my mind the best game ever released so far, but it would not be as popular as it still is now without the mods that have been done for it.

Pikeman
30-10-2003, 13:14
I agree: Mods RULE!!!!!!!!:cheers: :go:

Spudster
31-10-2003, 02:15
mod's seem to do a great job around the boards and answering questions!!!:angel: thanks mods!!!:cheers:

vyanvotts
31-10-2003, 03:28
Originally posted by Spudster
mod's seem to do a great job around the boards and answering questions!!!:angel: thanks mods!!!:cheers:

I think hes talking about modifications for KOH, and if it will be easy to do. For instance medeival (sp?) total war has a great napoleon mod that people have made. It changed it from medeival times to the napoleonic era, with guns and cannons ect.

Greeny
31-10-2003, 03:48
lol, sorry i just had to laugh :p

Shand
31-10-2003, 06:06
Im actually one of the members of the mod team working on The napoleon mod youre talkin about

vyanvotts
31-10-2003, 15:42
Originally posted by Shand
Im actually one of the members of the mod team working on The napoleon mod youre talkin about

lol, small world....brilliant job your doing :D

Pikeman
01-11-2003, 10:36
To devs: How easy will modding actually be?

Frujin
01-11-2003, 10:45
Uhm .. I'm affraid ... not easy at all. :( But modmakers are surprisingly innovative .. who know ?!

Shand
03-11-2003, 01:10
That's a shame. Looks like the life of the game will be about as long as it takes to finish one campaign:rolleyes:

Greeny
03-11-2003, 03:11
I can't imagine it being harder to mod than MTW :)

Shand
03-11-2003, 03:28
It all depends on the availibility of the files and what is hardcoded and what is not. In MTW there is lots of stuff that is hardcoded, which cant be changed, but they left enough of it open for it to be modded.
Other games like RON only have a very limited scope for modding. ie changing skins and stats, you cant add new units etc like mtw.
And from what ive seen of this game so far, im gonna want to add new units as theyve said so far theres only going to be like 15 units in the game. That will get boring after a while

hmm i think ill build some spearmen, then ill build some swordsmen then some more spearmen. thats what i love about MTw we were able to give it our own feel a variety nby adding whateva units we want. Not to mention adding completely new anims etc

Frank Fay
03-11-2003, 08:09
only going to be like 15 units

I dont know where you have heard that from :confused:

The unit count is higher and not to forget about Siege equipment....

Shand
04-11-2003, 00:19
Should you choose to manually control your troops in battle, instead of letting one of your knights take care of things, you're able to control more than 30 different kinds of units, such as archers, mounted cavalry, and various siege engines, like catapults, trebuchets, siege towers, and ladders.

This is the quote from the gamespot preview of the game. This 30 units also include the siege units, So my estimation was fairly close to the number of actual units youll get, still not a lot of variety. Which is the point i was trying to make that games should be made especailly these days which are easy for modders to mod.

Pikeman
04-11-2003, 13:23
I can't imagine there being more than about 5 different types of siege equipment, so that brings us down to 25 different units, and that's only if siege engines also count as units, which they might not necessarily.:)