PDA

View Full Version : What about historical approach

dagan
08-03-2004, 22:39
Would be possible to setup the game in historical mode chosing the kind of units and the progress developement involved.

This will avoid viking facing cataphract cavalry and others strange things.

Thank You for this possibility

Emhyr var Emreis
17-03-2004, 01:48
Any answer to this interesting question?

I'm affraid vikings will be able to meet cataphracts and english longbowmen and templars occasionaly..

Bora
17-03-2004, 05:06
the units you can build depends of the "upgradestatus" of your buildings and what buildings you have build so far. means when you dont have the necessary upgrates or teh necessary building to "produce" a unite, you cant produce it.

so the "timeline" is set by the kingdoms itself. means when they dont upgrade thyre buildings, they will not be able to increase the "tech lvl"

so if you have units that would be placed in a later time of medieval, in real life, and your enemy has units, that would be placed in a earlier time of medieval, then its just cause you have uogradet very fast, or your enemy too slow ;)

but i dont think that tha timeline between the different units is that big,... by the waym check first if your described unist will be really in the game!

economical and millitary improvements are always a result of technical inventations. and there fore stands the upgrade feature in the game.
as frank sayd: KoH is a game not cnn,...
but I think its realistic as possible

Hagen
23-03-2004, 23:05
oh no!!!
i have forgotten about this, since i decided not to play civ any longer :sick:

this whole upgrade-and-invention-thing...
don't know how it's called in foreign school-lessons, but in germany this epoch is called "das finstere mittelalter" (might be translated like: the dark middle ages"). and it got it's name because there was very less culture and INVENTION!!!!

i don't want to see inventions coming up, which are special for one nation, and are old crap already, 'cause the other nations are already far more invented. so this "special unit" is completly USELESS!!! :bash:

Elewyn
23-03-2004, 23:15
Sorry, I hope I misunderstood you. You mean: no special units in that damn dark period. Pikemen, cavalry and archers ar enough?

No. I wanna see templars in France, catahracts in Greece, longbowmen in England, You can play many poor games, I don see any reason why to make this game worse.

But please explain it to me better. What do you want to say?

Bora
24-03-2004, 00:46
Originally posted by Hagen
oh no!!!
i have forgotten about this, since i decided not to play civ any longer :sick:

this whole upgrade-and-invention-thing...
don't know how it's called in foreign school-lessons, but in germany this epoch is called "das finstere mittelalter" (might be translated like: the dark middle ages"). and it got it's name because there was very less culture and INVENTION!!!!

i don't want to see inventions coming up, which are special for one nation, and are old crap already, 'cause the other nations are already far more invented. so this "special unit" is completly USELESS!!! :bash:

to make it short, it almoust the as in mtw.
but i think its prtty realistic how its works. is just in real life. whne you dont have the accurat tool to make something you cant produce it.
but if you think its all rubish, then no one tells you to buy the game. ;)

Hagen
24-03-2004, 02:31
humm...
ok. seems that my thoughts often lead to misunderstandings *should work on that* :scratch:

ok - first of all: I DO NOT WANT TO TALK THIS GAME MAD!!!

and no, Elewyn, i want these units too ;)

but i do not want a special unit, which only one country can produce after a lot of inventionwork, and when it is available, it is already old iron, cause the other nations are far more invented... *hmmm hopefully i did get that point now* :D

bora, i really want to buy a game, but only if it isn't an old game new fashioned :sick:
but what i wanted to say was... hmmm... did you ever play the latest civ?? there are special units for the maincultures. if you played for exaple the roman empire, your special unit is a stronger version of the legion. the problem with it is, that it is only for an extremly short period of use, before it becomes old iron, because through invention all the other nations become stronger units. and THAT makes the roman special unit COMPLETELY useless in my eyes.
and that is, what i don't want to see in KoH!!!

Bora
24-03-2004, 07:57
Originally posted by Hagen
humm...
ok. seems that my thoughts often lead to misunderstandings *should work on that* :scratch:

ok - first of all: I DO NOT WANT TO TALK THIS GAME MAD!!!

and no, Elewyn, i want these units too ;)

but i do not want a special unit, which only one country can produce after a lot of inventionwork, and when it is available, it is already old iron, cause the other nations are far more invented... *hmmm hopefully i did get that point now* :D

bora, i really want to buy a game, but only if it isn't an old game new fashioned :sick:
but what i wanted to say was... hmmm... did you ever play the latest civ?? there are special units for the maincultures. if you played for exaple the roman empire, your special unit is a stronger version of the legion. the problem with it is, that it is only for an extremly short period of use, before it becomes old iron, because through invention all the other nations become stronger units. and THAT makes the roman special unit COMPLETELY useless in my eyes.
and that is, what i don't want to see in KoH!!!

there is not much a inventionwork,... i could describe it to you in german, but that is not allowed here, cause its strictly english here. that invention thimg was just a example, you know?
the special units are units like the longbow archers from wales.
and already the name says you just can bukd the there.
but i think you maybe know mtw (medieval total war) there it is the same. some units can only be build in a special region.
in that case mtw and KoH are the same. but ithink we must notz get worried, cause everything will be ok with recruiting/building the units

Vytis
25-03-2004, 01:51
I wonder if the number of special units per country will be limited in any way? For example, will Byzantium be able to field armies consisting of only cataphracts?
How about some manpower number (based on population?) which would limit the number of regular units? And maybe the number of special units allowed could be based on (% of) manpower available? Number of mercenary units would be affected, of course, only by your ability to hire them (money).

Bora
25-03-2004, 08:53
Originally posted by Vytis
I wonder if the number of special units per country will be limited in any way? For example, will Byzantium be able to field armies consisting of only cataphracts?
How about some manpower number (based on population?) which would limit the number of regular units? And maybe the number of special units allowed could be based on (% of) manpower available? Number of mercenary units would be affected, of course, only by your ability to hire them (money).

lets say you can recruit all together about 3000 man (just as example!)
so that number is also the limit for the special units.
means: if you wish to, you can build only "special units".
but dont tkae that word "special" here to serious.
in this case it means that this units where typical and often famous for a special region. it doesnt mean they are superheros and if you have them in your army you can beat everyone! ;)
you truely will have some bonuses on that troops, but they will also have a weakness. so i think that the archers from wales (as example) will maybe have improved shooting range then against ordinery archers, or do a bit more damage, something like that. but you can bet that they are weak againt cavalery as anny other archers, too

Elewyn
25-03-2004, 09:49
My words, Bora :)

And also remember that your unit production depends on the regions(realms) you rule. You gave Byzantine as example, so it you take 2 Southern Italian realms and Sicily, but lose all greek realms, you won't be able to produce cataphracts, when ruling some"cataphract" realms and some "boyar" realms, you can produce both and use them where it is better for you. But as Bora said, no unit is Special in the case of superbity. Cataphracts are maybe very well armoured, but also very slow (in comparison with cavalry) and expensive etc. In unit showcase there is colomn "disadvantages" speaking itself.

Bagpipe
25-03-2004, 10:40
I don't think anybody doubts about it.:)