PDA

View Full Version : Detail, time, mortality, heridity

Luca
14-03-2004, 12:47
First of all, I'd like to pay my regards to anyone who helps developping the game or who co-opporates on it, because it looks stunning so far. I very much appreciate the implantion of such high level of detail, though we all now nothing can be perfect, you sure do your best. I also very much appreciate the diplomacy, which will become a very important issue, and hopefully a very effective one too, because that is something where other games sometimes disappoint.

Bearing in mind the level of detail, my first question comes to mind: since you've set the location of this game to medieval Europe, I wonder myself how historical the game will be? One thing is for sure, the natural environment will be correct (in the best way possible), and that counts for the units and buildings too (bearing in mind the limitation of a PC-game offcourse). But I'm aiming my question at kings and realms. I've understood you will create the realms as historical correct as possible. But will their kings be it too? Will kings have historical correct behaviors? For example: if a king was determined for war, will the AI-king in the game be it too?

Yet another thing comes to my mind. I've read about the diplomatic feature to marry your dauhgter to an other king. I now hope you don't have as many daughters as you would want, because that would be ridiculous, won't it? So, if you have a limited number of daughters, how many would that be? Is that randomized? And offcourse, if you would have dauhters, you'd also have sons, no? What about them? In medieval times they often inherited their fathers Kingdom/realm. Sometimes even Kingdoms were divided over the King's sons. This topic relates my to another issue. Time. It's very obvious time passes. Well, since you take place as a king in the game, and time passes, that king someday dies... (or he could die in warfare too offcourse). What happens if he dies? Do his sons take over his realm, and do you continue play, now in the name of the son?

And offcourse, if times passes, when will the game end? What will be the last playable year? I've allready read that gunpowder will be excluded from the game, so, where does it stop?

And last but not least... I've never read something about technology and inventions. Thinking about power, mankind always sought out new inventions of better technologies to beat his oppenent. Will this play some part too in the game?

I hope I've posed some new and refreshing questions. I've no where read the awnsers to these questions so far. But, if the aswers to my question have allready been given on this forum, I'd be equally pleased if you'd refer me to them.

Sincerely, Luca

Elewyn
14-03-2004, 14:02
Welcome, Luca.
You havce some good questions, some already answered.
First of all, visit this thread (http://forum.sunflowers.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=671&highlight=FAQ) there you'll find many important info.

To sons and daughters. You can have maximum 3sons and 3 daughters, your king can't be impotent and after he dies, you can continue to play as his heir, what means son, if not son than husband of a daughter or (if no succesor-heir lasts) one of his main knights. So game doesn't end by king's death, but:
1.when a player conqueres whole Europe
2.if any other kingdom conqueres whole Europe
3.if player or anybody else is elected the emperor of Europe (not totally realistic feature, but it's what all mighty rulers try to become)
There's no year counter, you start to play in one of 3 entry points (early, high or late) and play it until the end (as described above) with no year counter. Gunpowder is not in, because covers only the end of late period and units must cover all periods.

Realms look as realistic as possible (I personally try to influence it as far as I can :)), king's behavior depends on AI which I don't know much-so perobably sbdy else can help you.

That's what I am able to help you with

to devs: Really, how is it with succession? can we divide our kingdom between 2 or 3 sons?

Angryminer
14-03-2004, 14:26
We know that knights can fight for succession of a heirless king, so sons will surely do so too (if two or more heirs claim the throne).

And an interesting question came up to my mind:
What happens, if the last heir of your dynasty is the prince your married your daughter to.
Example:
The english king marries his daughter to the prince of France. Then he dies without direct heir. Thus the prince of France is the legal heir. So England would now be ruled by the future king of France which ends the existence of England as an independent state. Does the game end at this situation or do you take over the rule of the french prince, which means that the player can switch dynasties?
Or do the english knights claim the english throne, what would also apply for the situation when we take over another nation by heritage.

Angryminer

Btw: Welcome to our neat little KoH-Forums, Luca.

Luca
14-03-2004, 14:57
Originally posted by Angryminer

The english king marries his daughter to the prince of France. Then he dies without direct heir. Thus the prince of France is the legal heir. So England would now be ruled by the future king of France which ends the existence of England as an independent state. Does the game end at this situation or do you take over the rule of the french prince, which means that the player can switch dynasties?
Or do the english knights claim the english throne, what would also apply for the situation when we take over another nation by heritage.

Yeah, I'd really like to know this too. If you, as king, have no heir, how do you proceed? Nice question angry miner.
Thanks for the welcome. I'm happy to've found out about this game!

Luca

Bora
14-03-2004, 15:23
must add something to henriks post. as far as i know the game CAN go on after connquering whole europe, if the player wants so.