PDA

View Full Version : OPEN SOURCE Version of games, like KOH?

kevincompton
26-06-2006, 19:29
Theres all those open source replicas of older games out there, it would be awesome if someone could make this one, like exact to the game and then just fix what we want fixed. Is it possible? Any good programmers? Angryminer I know you know your stuff. I bet with donations the time put in would compensate. I pay $50 USD for such a thing, if it worked better and looked just as nice.

Richard
26-06-2006, 19:48
Wouldn't that be violating the copy rights of SF over the game, thus SF could sue who ever does this?

I know of people doing this with old games, but those companies that created those games are long gone, SF in the other hand is still here.

Angryminer
26-06-2006, 19:52
Thanks for putting your trust into me. Yes, I know common programming languages like C++, and I know my trade with 2d and 3d hardware acceleration and network-coding, but:
Development of such a mammoth-project takes time. Loads of it. More than I or most other people can affort. Such a project can't be done alone on a part-time basis. If there was an open-source effort to recreate KoH I would definitely join it and help it as much as I can. But that takes a team of good programmers and artists.
Oh, and if I was developing something like this I wouldn't charge anything for it. That's not the spirit in which I develop software. :smile:

Angryminer

kevincompton
26-06-2006, 21:03
Thanks for putting your trust into me. Yes, I know common programming languages like C++, and I know my trade with 2d and 3d hardware acceleration and network-coding, but:
Development of such a mammoth-project takes time. Loads of it. More than I or most other people can affort. Such a project can't be done alone on a part-time basis. If there was an open-source effort to recreate KoH I would definitely join it and help it as much as I can. But that takes a team of good programmers and artists.
Oh, and if I was developing something like this I wouldn't charge anything for it. That's not the spirit in which I develop software. :smile:

Angryminer

No not charging of course, the minute profit is made from it it would be infringing on copyright but if you accepted donations to free up time for it then its okay.

At any rate, I'm all for getting an open source project going for this but do you think we could find enough programmers that like this game?

White Knight
17-07-2006, 03:27
Again, I completely agree with you kevin and hope they grant the game KOH
at some point to be labeled abandonware so we can start decompiling.
and starting a sourceforge project out of it.

yes it would take alot of man hours and & studying the build/syntax @ the
stage that it's @ and would need a very good lead programer to lead this quest.

If this day ever comes and they realize they have made all the money they
are going to make off this game seeing as most of the retail stores have *yakned*
it off the shelves because of soooo many returns ..
*cough*because of the crash/bugs *cough* along with CRAPPY support
for it.

Heh, you cant even buy it in any popular retail stores in the US anymore..
& I asume this is because of the unstable build and all those unhappy retailer returns probably caused major problems.

I luckily found & bought mine off of target.com wich was the ONLY place I found it where they had them still in stock.
(online purchase only with no return policy) ..Go Figure! ROFL

Anyways, IF & when they FINALLY decide to release the game
from their greedy clutches & *officially* abandon the copyright
@ that stage I am all for helping!!

Lighthope
21-07-2006, 07:39
Actually, the best things Sunflowers could do right now is release the source code for KOH. Since the game is abandoned, let the fans have it. The bad will against Sunflowers would disappear in an instant. And the mods coming out of that release would certainly ignite interest in a KOH2 plus would do all the market research Sunflowers would need with zero cost. All they would have to do it look at what the fans did with KOH, see how the modded it, examine what mods were popular and what weren't, and SF wil have all the info they need for KOH2.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - The last fight my wife and I had was my fault. My wife asked, "What's on the TV?" I said, "Dust!" Then I woke up in the hospital.

--== TIGERS' QUEST - http://www.tigersquest.com
--== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS - http://www.dwad.net