PDA

View Full Version : Question About locked Units

brimcc
30-06-2006, 19:40
So I've read a couple threads, and get the idea that if the units aren't there they aren't there, no matter what you build (seems silly, if the units aren't available I'd expect their buildings to be unavailable too). This includes standard ones like men-at-arms and halberdiers as well right? I'm playing as Munster and I find it incredibly frustrating that no matter what I build, all I get are bloody swordsmen, bowmen and peasants. Has anyone made a mod to fix this up so that it's more along the lines of MTW, where there are a standard set of units everyone has access to and it's only the nation-specific ones you can't have. It's a fabulous game, but this one thing is driving me nuts :angry: I know, I just have to capture another province, but it's much more satisfying building up your original province. Cheers!

Largefry07
30-06-2006, 20:13
This is one major flaw in KoH. However, a kingdom has a unit that can be built anywhere. I know that if you play as England you can build your Men-at-arms anywhere you want to. Just try out different kingdoms and see what unit you like the most.

brimcc
30-06-2006, 20:34
Argh. That's what I figured. Obviously KOH wasn't built with accuracy in mind, so I find it kind of funny that they would pick that part of play to disadvantage smaller (and more enjoyable) kingdoms. :bash: Still a fantastic game though, the diplomacy engine is absolutely brilliant! :cheers:

kevincompton
30-06-2006, 21:43
I don't mind the regional availability and its not inaccurate from a certain perspective.

brimcc
30-06-2006, 22:34
I don't mind the regional availability and its not inaccurate from a certain perspective.

That's just it though. This game isn't based on accuracy when compared to something like EU, so why make the unit production accurate, it's just plain frustrating.

Scott716
01-07-2006, 01:37
Actually I kind of like it the way it is..makes you have to work a little to get the units you want, plus I like the random surprise of a mercenary camp popping up and being able to get different units from that time to time. In the long run I think it adds more gameplay the way it is.

Lord_Nick
01-07-2006, 03:23
Has anyone ever played an entire game with Mercenary Units only? ie, you don;t build any of your own troops (except Peasants).

Scott716
01-07-2006, 05:15
I haven't tried that yet, but I'll add it to my list of things to try. That's what I like about this game, it has allot of detail but unlike many games of it's kind..kept options for having fun with it as well.

Elvain
01-07-2006, 11:53
That's just it though. This game isn't based on accuracy when compared to something like EU, so why make the unit production accurate, it's just plain frustrating.
the game is made as compromise between accurancy and fun.

I ofund especialy this aspect really good. I see now reason why you shuold have any kind of cavalry units in scottish highalnds or halberdiers (typical unit for urban areas) in some province that had no famous dity (like the irish provinces f.i.)

I really like it the way it is, I just little changed and widened availability of some units in my mod. But iot is no revolution in the way you asked for