PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestion for first game!

Dobber
04-07-2006, 01:57
I looked at the threads about favorite starting points and such, but I was wondering which province should I choose for my very first game? My ancestors most likely came to America from either Ireland or England. Should I go that route or choose a Crusader state, or reforge the Byzantine Empire?

Lord_Nick
04-07-2006, 02:48
How about either:

the Khazars in Early (unite the Mongol Horde), or
the Seljuks in High (unite the Ottomans)

With a few screenshots of your successful quest. :go:

Largefry07
04-07-2006, 04:00
I started out as England and found it to be a good first start. But if I could do it again I would definetaly choose Spain. They have the best special units out of any other kingdom. I could sit here and bore you with very usefully tips but I think you're the kind of guy that likes to figure it out for himself so I'll keep quiet. Back to your first game, England or Spain would be a good choose.

Doux
04-07-2006, 11:31
You're probably going to play without a modification installed.
I liked, like Largefry07, Spain, or even better, Aragon. Good units. Italy is nice to start with too. Going for the quests as Lord_Nick advised is of course a fun option too - what about Nicaea and unite Byzantium?

In modded gameplay I'd recommend a Pagan province, but in 'vanilla' Knights of Honor, pagans are a bit too weak.

Have fun!

Elvain
04-07-2006, 14:03
for the first game some 3-5 province kingdom is ideal.
So you'll probably like England, from spanish states Aragon (in late) looks the best.

Or pick Sicily in high or Nicaea in the same period.

Crusader states (especialy Jerusalem) are fun but quite hard at the beggining.

Seljuks are also good idea as there are mostly christians around you so you will find out faster how to use cleric :go:

whatever you pick, good luck :go:

Angryminer
04-07-2006, 14:41
I always enjoyed playing Hungary because it's big enough to be a good start and has a lot of neighbours.
In the original game (without mods, referred to as vanilla KoH) the game is (on the hardest setting) easy enough so the neighbours shouldn't be a problem.

Angryminer

mammix
06-07-2006, 13:40
I liked Ulster- i conquered Ireland, England and Spain very fast. Than, you attack Normandy- and the whole Europe is opened for you :)

Dobber
06-07-2006, 16:15
I liked Ulster- i conquered Ireland, England and Spain very fast. Than, you attack Normandy- and the whole Europe is opened for you :)

I like that, someone suggesting the way I decided to go.
Yeah, I decided to follow my posssible Irish roots and started with Ulster. By the first election process, I was among the voters, which means I was among the 7 most powerful nations. After saving my game and stopping play for the evening, in the run down, I was listed 6th most powerful nation and 3rd strongest military. I am currently at war with Brittany, and Lothian and of course a rebel faction occasionally. I am currently going after Kent(held by Brittany), East Anglia(held by Lothian), then I will take York and have all provinces there.

My Cleric has been elected Pope(Is that a good thing?).

mammix
06-07-2006, 16:19
A bit. He won't exxcomunicate every country you' ll ask, but if you want to crusade an arabian country, he will probably let you go :)

Dobber
06-07-2006, 17:15
A bit. He won't exxcomunicate every country you' ll ask, but if you want to crusade an arabian country, he will probably let you go :)

Yeah I found that out, I asked him to excommunicate Brittany(whom I was fighting). Instead he excommunicated me and disappeared from my court.
Then my game crashed, so when I restart from my saved game, I will not ask him to do that again.

Gallifrey
06-07-2006, 17:31
I actually really find it annoying when my Clerics get elected as Pope. In my current game as Antioch, my Clerics have been consistantly made Popes, to the extent that the Principality Of Antioch has provided a steady stream of Popes. So I'm continually losing my Clerics, and a good Cleric is far more useful than a Pope.

Largefry07
06-07-2006, 19:00
I actually really find it annoying when my Clerics get elected as Pope. In my current game as Antioch, my Clerics have been consistantly made Popes, to the extent that the Principality Of Antioch has provided a steady stream of Popes. So I'm continually losing my Clerics, and a good Cleric is far more useful than a Pope.

I agree. The pope is only useful if you have a weak military. And in most cases, you do not have a weak military if you have the pope in your court. What I would suggest to all, is wait untill Papacy is destoried and Rome is taken by another kingdom. Then go in and take Rome from the kingdom and deny the Papacy from starting again.

Elvain
06-07-2006, 22:15
Or pick non catholic kingdom :biggrin:

orthodox are nice, when you declare independent church, the patriarch is much more useful than some damned pope :go:

Gallifrey
07-07-2006, 16:36
I always seem to end up playing a Catholic or Muslim kingdom, not sure why that happens, exactly.
I've been thinking of trying out a Pagan nation, never played as Pagans before.

Lord_Nick
07-07-2006, 23:54
I enjoyed playing as a Pagan (Mongol Horde) .. a few things to consider with them:

30% of your income is lopped right off the top
No Churches, Cathedrals, or Clerics = no books from them or piety = so look to Libraries and Universities for books if you want to educate Spies and Merchants
No Clerics = No way to quickly adopt populations and eliminate nostalgia = mega rebels or long peace to eliminate nostalgia
Provinces auto convert to Paganism

Gallifrey
08-07-2006, 15:32
That would make for quite a different game. It seems there's a lot lost, but little gained save for the auto-conversion of conquered provinces. So, is the appeal of playing a Pagan kingdom simply the greater challenge?

Doux
08-07-2006, 21:29
In the vanilla version of KoH, one would play a pagan kingdom for the (much increased) challenge, yes.

Lord_Nick
08-07-2006, 23:08
Well, there's not only the increased challenge but also it's like a new game in some respects.

You just can't go tearing across Europe conquering everything because you'll never hold it.

It's nice not having to worry about Piety (you can't earn it) .. all you care about is Gold, but it's a little harder to earn. So .. no Piety when increasing Kingdom Power .. no Piety when taking over Town Authority.

There's no Cleric icon .. no Church or Cathedral buildings ... there's little pagan temples all over your kingdom.

... and if you're Kingdom Power ever gets knocked down to -5, you're in deep trouble ... You not only get the Kingdom Power income penalty, but another 30% Pagan penalty on top of that. You might have to use your War Tax to increase you KP, which will cause any unhappy provinces to sprout rebellions.

Sir Sean
23-07-2006, 09:04
I always seem to end up playing a Catholic or Muslim kingdom, not sure why that happens, exactly.
I've been thinking of trying out a Pagan nation, never played as Pagans before.

same and pagen as well but in my AAR ive manged to make my self orthodox

and in my aar i cant proclaim inderpendence as Byzantia so its fun