PDA

View Full Version : King is a spy?

Largefry07
05-07-2006, 03:36
I'm in a situtition that my next king could be a spy. My king has grown old and has no heirs. I have serveral merchants that are more than likely spies from another kingdom that could take the throne. I also have a skilled marshall that is not a spy that is in the running for the throne if my king doesn't produce any a heir. So my question is if one of my merchants takes the throne and is indead a spy, could he hand over my kingdom and I lose?

Lord_Nick
05-07-2006, 05:34
I've never seen one of my Spy-Merchants take over an enemy crown, although it might be possible. It's usually my Spy-Marshals or Spy-Spies that get selected as the new King.

Questions:

How many stars does each Merchant have?
How many skills does your Marshal have (out of 18)? If the Merchants are unskilled, don't worry about them taking over.
Can you afford to exile all the Merchants and rebuild with your Marshal alone?
How do you know your Marshal is not a Spy? Is he of royal blood or was he your first Marshal? I've had my first Marshal turn out to be an enemy spy a few times.
Do you have time to turn your King into a Spy and have him watch over the Royal Court?
Is the Queen a noble woman from your country or a foreign princess? If she's a foreigner, you might have some trouble up ahead.

I had an instance where my King died without any heirs and he was the only one in the Royal Court. I thought I had lost for sure. The game gave me a brand new king, and said something like "such and such Marshal stepped in to take over your kingdom".

I'd say do a Save Game, just in case.

Largefry07
05-07-2006, 16:23
1. I have 4 merchants and only one of them has one star. The rest have none.
2. My marshall has about 11 stars. So he'll probally take the throne. However, I've had some games where the least of my knights take the throne.
3. I suppose but I really don't want to.
4. He was my first marshall.
5. Yes but I don't think that'll be much good b/c I'll have a hard time educating him, since my book rate is low plus I need those books to adopt population so I don't lose those provs. Also I need my king to be the cleric to do that.
6. My queen is from Norway but he father died so it says she's a noble women. (why would I be in a world of hurt?)

Angryminer
05-07-2006, 16:27
If a spy-merchant takes over take him back to the court, make him a marshall and let him go to a suicide mission into some enemy's castle. That way the spy-king dies before he can do something bad.
Repeat that procedure until your hopefully loyal marshall becomes the king.
The other idea would be to hire a spy, or better two of them.
Even if one of them is a double-spy they still have a good chance to detect the merchant-spy if he tries to give away the crown. Of course a double-spy could assassinate your king. But that's quite okay, not to say great, because the king is an enemy spy. :smile:
After that remove the two spies.

Angryminer

Lord_Nick
05-07-2006, 18:27
6. My queen is from Norway but he father died so it says she's a noble women. (why would I be in a world of hurt?)

It might not be as bad as a world of hurt ... here's what happened to me.

When I was playing as the Golden Horde, my King married a Princess from Georgia.

I didn't think much of the marriage, I just hoped to inherit some land from my neighbour.

Then some mysterious things started happening ... "mysterious events led us to declare war" on a Muslim kingdom to the south, then my first Marshal rebelled or did something else odd.

It was later revealed that my very first Marshal was a spy for the Georgians. The Queen must have bribed him somehow.

After that, I only use kin for posts in the Royal Court.

By the way, if your King dies and then you kill your next King by sending him to fight rebels, expect a -20 Dynasty hit to your popularity (-10 for each king) ... unless you marry him off before you kill him .. but that might result in Inheritance Claims.

Largefry07
05-07-2006, 21:17
My king finally gave me two sons. I didn't think he had enough time for one. But anyways if your king is a spy from another kingdom could he hand over your kingdom (like I've done so many times)? Has anyone ever heard or seen it happened? It is even possible? I'm asking this for future refference.

mammix
06-07-2006, 19:07
[QUOTE=Largefry07] 1. I have 4 merchants and only one of them has one star. The rest have none.
2. My marshall has about 11 stars. So he'll probally take the throne. However, I've had some games where the least of my knights take the throne.
3. I suppose but I really don't want to.
4. He was my first marshall.
[QUOTE=Largefry07]

Once, I played Poland, my firts marshall was Swedish spy... But how is it possible that your firts marshall was someone's spy?

Angryminer
06-07-2006, 19:50
The AI can bribe your knights with money. You can't do that because the feature was removed, but the AI can still do that and make your knights, even former family members, spies on their court.

Angryminer

Dobber
07-07-2006, 00:20
It is a world of hurt, when you are considered the second most powerful nation and your king dies without an heir, 10 of 12 provinces held were returned to their countrymen. The Landlord I had governing Leinster became King and Leinster was the only province I had conquered that remained along with Ulster as part of the Kingdom. The Marshall's I had resting inside cities were kicked out into a camp outside the cities. Talk about taking the wind out of your sails! Needless to say that one will be restarted from the previous save game and we will see if we can get the heir married so we can have a chance at some kids.

Lord_Nick
07-07-2006, 01:21
Dobber,

A few questions:

What was your Kingdom Power before your King died?
How much nostalgia/war exhaustion was there in each province?
Did you have a variety of religions in your kingdom or just one?
Did you have any other negative effects affecting your popularity? (deaths of other royalty, etc)

Largefry07
07-07-2006, 01:46
Yep that happened to me my first time out. I felt like throwing the computer out the window, but this room has no windows.:bash: But look at the bright side, those provs should be there own kingdom and since they just started they are weak and it shouldn't take long with a well trained army to reconquor your lost land.

Angryminer
07-07-2006, 08:49
Sometimes, when I have no heir, I remove all garrisons and townwatches from the provinces that have nostalgia and strategically place armies among them. When they delacre independance my cavalry army picks one after another with no or few resistance.

Angryminer

Dobber
07-07-2006, 19:12
Dobber,

A few questions:

What was your Kingdom Power before your King died?
How much nostalgia/war exhaustion was there in each province?
Did you have a variety of religions in your kingdom or just one?
Did you have any other negative effects affecting your popularity? (deaths of other royalty, etc)

Kingdom power was high.
There was unhappiness about war in all but the 2 provinces that remained.
I was in process of attacking Spanish lands held by Islamic Cordoba, so some may have been Islamic.

Angryminer
07-07-2006, 20:17
I don't know wether you already know, but if you click a category of un-/happyness in the rebel-risk-screen the category will expand and show a detailed view of things that cause the unhappyness. In the wars-category you can find either nostalgia, plundered villages or war-exhaustion.
Nostalgia is the one which causes provinces to declare independance when no heir is available. A cleric can get rid of nostalgia in the province he governs, but it's expensive. Nostalgia will only go away on it's own when you are in no war.

Angryminer

Dobber
08-07-2006, 01:20
I don't know wether you already know, but if you click a category of un-/happyness in the rebel-risk-screen the category will expand and show a detailed view of things that cause the unhappyness. In the wars-category you can find either nostalgia, plundered villages or war-exhaustion.
Nostalgia is the one which causes provinces to declare independance when no heir is available. A cleric can get rid of nostalgia in the province he governs, but it's expensive. Nostalgia will only go away on it's own when you are in no war.

Angryminer

No I didn't know that! I am still feeling my way around. I restarted from save game after King died with no heir and tried to arrange it to not happen again, well I got that one to produce offspring but his son did not, even after marrying young, I think the princess I married him to may have been preventing children hoping to get claim on some of the provinces. That time I had 22 provinces with all of Spain, all of England, at least this time my most powerful Marshall(first one I hired) became King. He is now married young and I am in process of retaking England, but I am afraid if I keep him out fighting wars and taking provinces, he want find time to produce any heirs!:biggrin:
Trying to get a Marshall further developed using same skills as my King, then turn the Kings army over to him. I have definitely picked up on some things, I had considered destroying some defenses in towns before he died, but didn't. Now wish I had, a lot of them I had upgraded to stone walls, when I needed to spend money to pull down inflation.

On a side note, when the death occured I was seiging Tangiers(the last Cordoban province). My seige there continued and I took the province. After gaining possesion, I garrisoned 6 squads of desert archers there, started a palisade building and sent my Marshall north to help with all the invasions occurring in Ulster and to help take back provinces. Tangiers has been beseiged at least 2 dozen times and they keep repelling attack after attack, there will be 3 countries armies camped waiting their turn.

Largefry07
08-07-2006, 06:29
but I am afraid if I keep him out fighting wars and taking provinces, he want find time to produce any heirs!:biggrin:

No need to worry there. Whatever or wherever your king is, it will have no effect (affect never know what one to use) of him having offspring.

Dobber
08-07-2006, 18:32
No need to worry there. Whatever or wherever your king is, it will have no effect (affect never know what one to use) of him having offspring.

Long range mating, quite a man! :biggrin: