PDA

View Full Version : Budapest without the Danube?

Zazamoukh
27-03-2004, 20:13
Well it'll not be about the size of the maps, but the quality of the maps. I've seen a map with Budapest in the middle, and where is the Danube? It looks kind of strange. And the mountains are on the wrong side. Plese tell me there'll be a fixed and precise landscape not a random generated one! Of course I know it's a lot of work, but...;)

Nike
27-03-2004, 20:16
The game is not ready yet. I guess that's why there is no Donau! I'm sure they'll fix it before it comes out! Don't worry!

Zazamoukh
27-03-2004, 20:23
I knew it...somewhere...deep within:D
I didn't want to start a whole new topic, but now it can become a place for discussing things about maps.
For example: will rivers run through towns? ( I can't snap out of this Duna thing) Or they'll just pass next to them?

Zazamoukh
27-03-2004, 20:44
And of course the title is very creative:D Dont you think?

timurlenk
27-03-2004, 20:51
Originally posted by Zazamoukh
I knew... it somewhere...deep within:D
I didn't want to start a whole new topic, but now it can become a place for discussing things about maps.
For example: will rivers run through towns? ( I can't snap out of this Duna thing) Or they'll just pass next to them?

interesting question! whats about paris e.g.?

@ budapest
cause there was no budapest in the middleage, the town will be pest or obuda . and pest is only at one side (eastern) of the danube river, obuda on the other (western) one.

so i think you will not see the danube through budapest...

Frujin
27-03-2004, 21:15
Yes, the Danube is there. It just is flowing a bit incorrectly but it will be fixed. Also, some mountains will be fixed. BUT, please, will you show at least some mercy on us, developers :)

Making 200% exact landscape: 1) doesn't help the gameplay at all, 2) will take enough time to improve AI twice ... (uhm .. whatever that means) :bconfused

Zazamoukh
27-03-2004, 21:53
I know, alright:)
I've said already that it's a lot of work to do. But the "so-called" capitals should have near-to-almost-correct geography. The other parts...well...the Earth changes during the ages. :bday:

timurlenk: yes, it was called Pest-Buda and it was not one city. It wasn't even the capital for a very long time. But that was not my point. If cities have rivers, will it effect a siege? Boat assault or sneaking in underwater? Yes, I know it sounds very impossible, but it would give more tactical options. As I think about it, it would only complicate the game. Maybe in KoH 2?:)

Henrik
28-03-2004, 00:00
Originally posted by Frujin
Yes, the Danube is there. It just is flowing a bit incorrectly but it will be fixed. Also, some mountains will be fixed. BUT, please, will you show at least some mercy on us, developers :)

Making 200% exact landscape: 1) doesn't help the gameplay at all, 2) will take enough time to improve AI twice ... (uhm .. whatever that means) :bconfused

well, Frujin one could say that it's sorta your own fault :eek:.....the game seem to so perfect by now and then it's quite natural that if we can't nail you and the rest of BSS on the big issues, *not being serious* then we'll ofcaurse go after the small ones - we simply "love" to whine and complain - you know :rolleyes:

:D

Zazamoukh
28-03-2004, 22:13
Last day I saw a screenshot featuring water transportation: a few soldier on rafts approaching the enemy. But it was on open ground not a castle siege.

Will this be available at city sieges too? Sneaking your men inside, opening the main gate to let in the rest of your troops. Or just a few spies killing the guards and doing the same. So if the cities will have rivers running through they, it would be easier to counqer on side of them(I don't think forts will have rivers running through). Or by sieging the other side of the town, you could get in through the harbor. Just think about the possibilities!

Elewyn
28-03-2004, 22:25
Last day I saw a screenshot featuring water transportation: a few soldier on rafts approaching the enemy. But it was on open ground not a castle siege.

Will this be available at city sieges too? Sneaking your men inside, opening the main gate to let in the rest of your troops. Or just a few spies killing the guards and doing the same. So if the cities will have rivers running through they, it would be easier to counqer on side of them(I don't think forts will have rivers running through). Or by sieging the other side of the town, you could get in through the harbor. Just think about the possibilities! I doubt rivers will flow through towns. Non of towns on screenshot has river dividing it into 2 parts. By the way, medieval towns mostly were built on one river bank, only after some (mostly quite long) time they got extended to both sides. Ofcourse cities like Paris, Rome etc. differ a little, but those are really few in Europe.

And one practical note. When you place your main gate to river bank, you would probably build bridge across the river :)

Zazamoukh
31-03-2004, 18:03
Than back to the landscape stuff.:) I agree than it would not help the gameplay, but if someone sees his/her own town and the surrundings look very different than in the real world, it is disappointing. It gives you the feeling like e.g. in car simulators where they had no money for the licences so they write names like Feraro instead of Ferrari. You know what I mean.
I don't expect 200% exact landscape. I think I only need 110%. Ok. Not every tree around Hatvan, but the others should be there. :)

timurlenk
31-03-2004, 20:26
Than back to the landscape stuff.:) I agree than it would not help the gameplay, but if someone sees his/her own town and the surrundings look very different than in the real world, it is disappointing. It gives you the feeling like e.g. in car simulators where they had no money for the licences so they write names like Feraro instead of Ferrari. You know what I mean.
I don't expect 200% exact landscape. I think I only need 110%. Ok. Not every tree around Hatvan, but the others should be there. :)

for better gameplay we decided to place pest into lake balaton - on poles. venice style. :D ;)

frujin wrote: "Yes, the Danube is there. It just is flowing a bit incorrectly but it will be fixed. Also, some mountains will be fixed."

what do you want more?

Zazamoukh
01-04-2004, 16:08
It's not just about Pest or Buda, but the whole world. And I have already written, what I would like to see. Accaptable landscape. My prevorius post was just the expression of my thoughts, so maybe someone would understand what I'm saying. If there'll be good landscape, I'm happy already.

Pest in the Balaton? That would reduce traveling time in summer, of course. But to live there all the time? Still. It would have some strategical advances. It could only be attacked from water...Never runs out of water...Water poisoning would be a silly threat...And if it has no bridge(all traffic of boats) it would be a great advantage. So, it sounds good.:)

By the way, will there be lake towns in the game?:D :D