PDA

View Full Version : How similar to MTW will KOH be?

Satyr
02-04-2004, 22:26
I realise that KOH is realtime but other than that, how similar do you see these being?

Have many of you played Medieval:Total War?

If one never uses the pause function (even assuming there is one) then how long would a campaign last?

Thanks, I am looking forward to seeing this game.

WAR_PIG
05-04-2004, 19:14
To my understanding there is no limit on how long a campaing can last. Which I love! I hate deadlines. In MTW and Hearts of Iron I always got ticked off when I was close to conquering EVERYONE, but whoops the year was up.

Satyr
05-04-2004, 19:33
War_Pig, are you referring to the timer in battles in MTW? It is quite easy to turn that off so that battles can take as long as needed. This is how almost everyone plays.

I was actually assuming that, being realtime, days went by at a certain pace in KOH. But if there is absolutely no deadline to the number of days you can take to conquer Europe then I understand.

Do I remember you from AOK days? Were you active at MrFixits?

WAR_PIG
05-04-2004, 19:44
Sorry, if I wasn't clear. :cheers: I was talking about about the year counter, not the battle counter.

Bora
06-04-2004, 00:40
you will find some elements close to mtw, and some close to lords of the realm 2.
mtw was more concentradet to the the "techtree" (buildings) and the battles.

KoH will have much more diplomacy. good news is that the alliances will be more important then in mtw, and you dont go to war with you(ex)allie only cause you have entered his territory exidently.
and the sieges will be much more important then in mtw.

before the full version a demo will be released for download. but please dont ask when exactly ;)

Justin Ewald
06-04-2004, 01:32
I think they're total opposites because the total war series is exactly what its title says its about, total war, theres not very much diplomacy and espionage, but koh will be more of a stategic way, but yea like you said before the seiges will be better and more important, because in mtw they just have balls or ballistas coming out of towers with no men occupying the towers, but koh you can ahve men man the walls and towers right? but mtw has the advantage with the number of units, but im more of a smarts player not a brute strength player, koh will also make up for the units with no deadline on how long you can play, as you said before

WAR_PIG
06-04-2004, 01:34
I just hope the battles don't become an excercise in micro-management. That was the problem in MTW, it got so HUGE and confusing I would eventually let the AI automatically resolve the battle.

Justin Ewald
06-04-2004, 01:36
yea i know it gets real old, real fast, its like the same kind of battle every time, slaughter, slaughter, slaughter, mass confusion, mass confusion

WAR_PIG
06-04-2004, 01:40
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, the slaughtering doesn't bother me! It was always difficult to control THOUSANDS of troops.

Justin Ewald
06-04-2004, 01:41
it gets old after awhile though all the mass killing and stuff

Satyr
06-04-2004, 01:57
The tactical battles never gets old for me. I like controlling my men and being clever about how I skirmish, attack and defend. I can appreciate that KOH will have better strategic play than MTW, we all asked for more in MTW but I can also hope that the battles in KOH will be as well done as MTW. I truely love BOTH parts of these sorts of games.

hulkster225
06-04-2004, 05:06
I don't think the battles in MTW got old. If you managed your army efficiently you could all kinds of different factors to your advantage. Terrain, formation, flanking, different unit bonuses, tactics (hit and run with horse archers) etc.

KOSKnight
06-04-2004, 09:37
both M:TW and KoH will be far different in more ways but then againt M:TW is rather old now and CA has far advanced game comin out with tons more diplomacy options aswell as more other stuff added in R:TW.

Bora
06-04-2004, 13:57
Originally posted by Justin Ewald
I think they're total opposites because the total war series is exactly what its title says its about, total war, theres not very much diplomacy and espionage, but koh will be more of a stategic way, but yea like you said before the seiges will be better and more important, because in mtw they just have balls or ballistas coming out of towers with no men occupying the towers, but koh you can ahve men man the walls and towers right? but mtw has the advantage with the number of units, but im more of a smarts player not a brute strength player, koh will also make up for the units with no deadline on how long you can play, as you said before

at the end what i wrote, but the trueth that mtw was more concentrated on the battles, it doesnt mean that is 180° different.
you can upggrade/build buildings like in mtw. and the buildings will also have an effect what units you can "produce"
and its comes to close view when you start a battle, also just like in mtw (only here in 2d,... but it looks great, as you see in the gallery)
the side that KoH has like lord of the realms 2 is, that you recruit your troops from the population and you must take care that your troops and population are not dieing of hunger.

it means, you will find some things that you know from mtw and lotrelms2, but KoH its of course a game on its own.

the_holy_knight
15-04-2004, 21:58
Well I hope the sieges are better that was the main downfall of M:TW imo but the rome sieges look loads better :).
Well to me this game looks like its quite a bit like stronghold in the siege department but not in all other aspects really. The graphics are really good and with 3000 units on a battlefield im glad my comp is so much better than the min. spec in the faq. It is hard to pick out any major simularities between this and M:TW apart from the battles. Maybe religion too and all the non-military units.

KOSKnight
18-04-2004, 11:05
this isnt anything like M:TW but looks ot be good game aswell and with R:TW coming out with new better graphics and tons more diplomacy options. KoH will be a great Medieval war game and R:TW will be great Ancient war game.