PDA

View Full Version : Siege rush.

Pages : [1] 2

SumatroX
05-04-2004, 10:55
Hey guys,

I'm quite new to this forum, and even in this small period I've seen enough about this game to be sure to buy it.

All the time when playing another strategy game I wanted to have just a little more realism, that means more units and no health bars. Also the brainless hacking and slashing of the units made me feel a little bored. Now that I found out that this will be the game that's gonna prove how cool the realism will be, I really can't wait for the demo and full version.

There is only one thing I'm quite afraid of. In the games Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader (I think some of you guys must know them, as fans of medieval strategy games), the best tactic was to build about 20 of 30 catapults and then just rain rocks on the enemy. That would always do the job. That way the defender had almost no advantage of being a defender. The fact is that this game, Knights of Honor, is quite comparable to both Stronghold games. Will there be any oppurtunity in this game that a rush with siege can destroy the enemy easily? I hope not!!
A catapults should be capable to create one hole in a wall, and they should not be able to take out all the enemy's defences!

And another thing, will it be possible to build a wall and load it with archers?

Greetz, SumatroX

Platina
05-04-2004, 11:04
Although im not a creator of the game, i can answer some questions.

And another thing, will it be possible to build a wall and load it with archers?

Yes, for more information about the pro's and cons of archers you should read the FAQ.

The fact is that this game, Knights of Honor, is quite comparable to both Stronghold games. Will there be any oppurtunity in this game that a rush with siege can destroy the enemy easily?

No, this will not be possible. You can build a lot of siege thingies offcourse. But you have to walk very long to reach the enemy, you have to pay attention to your moral. And if the enemy spotted you they will surely send out some troops to stop you. It is not like Stronghold were you walk across the map in just 2 minutes. It will take much more longer, so the enemy will have time to prepare.

Frank Fay
05-04-2004, 11:11
And you have a limitted space in your army. You could carry max. 9 catapults but no units. An army has 9 slots (up to 12 with a special marshal skill) and you need to decide what kind of army you assemble.

Frank Fay
05-04-2004, 11:13
And what you mean is not sieging, it is called assault in Knights of Honor.

A siege is starve out the defenders...

SumatroX
05-04-2004, 11:14
That's a good thing to know. Sounds like a good way to solve this problem. If siege is very expensive you don't want the risk that your whole siege army is being crushed before it reaches it's target, and siege is ofcourse not strong against units. So easy to crush, if it's not covered by other units.

With siege I ofcourse mean siege equipment.

Damn can't wait to get this game :D

Silverwolf
05-04-2004, 12:12
Starving out the defenders sounds cruel but i like it :D

hawk_knight
05-04-2004, 13:08
Originally posted by Silverwolf
Starving out the defenders sounds cruel but i like it :D

i like it too :D
you can starve them out and when there are weak you assault them :viking: :D

Frank Fay
05-04-2004, 13:38
Starving out the defenders sounds cruel but i like it

Sure, but you should look on your food too.

Heretic
05-04-2004, 13:40
Hey,guys!
One question about siege weapons (catapults,trebuchets):
How long one catapult or other machine will shot after one round?
I know it was be difficult and long action.
:scratch:

Backside
05-04-2004, 16:43
I the game will be realistic I think that the siege weapons will cause great damage to wals and towers but they will load slow :].

And another question - will be in KOH include a portable shields or balistas for fighiting on a land?

In Stronghold; Crusader was a Fire Balistae, but it was so strong that if we have about 30 if them and a several defencive units we could defence the rush of cavalery or of cours the atack of slow inflantry - it wasn't too fair :].
And how about the boiling oil? In Stronghold it was a great fun to put off the hot oil onto the inflantry heads :D :D :D and they of course burn in pain. Will be this nice option avaible in KoH?

Frank Fay
05-04-2004, 18:48
yes the fire rate is low but that is a matter of balancing.

There will be portable ballistas too.

SumatroX
06-04-2004, 16:39
Sounds like all the siege equipment is fine.

I have another question, it's kinda offtopic, but didn't want to open another thread.
Will units have a charge move? If units charge into eachother, it would be cool if the polearm units would charge with pikes-in-front, and units with swords should attack with a great powerfull swing. When doing that swing it means they are totally focussed on their attack, and have almost no more defense. This would make two armies charging into eachother have a lot of casualties, wich is quite realistic. And ofcourse cavalary would have a very strong charge, but when charging into polearm units, they would just have very much casualties.
This kind of charges would be great, imo.

Heretic
07-04-2004, 08:37
Btw, I think these heavy machines will not shoot straight,or maybe engineers will estimate VERY precisely.Perhaps: 2 shots which have reached the aim, and 2 shots "to the God's windows"[Dievui i langus].:rolleyes:

Angryminer
07-04-2004, 12:50
Heretic: Archers do the same...
"Whoops, I shot an ally... Sorry!" :D

Angryminer

Heretic
07-04-2004, 16:42
Archer:"Oooopps,I shot our king! Run for your lives!!!"

Other situation:
Engineer:"Now catapult is ready...Shot!
-pause-
...oops, we crashed first attacking line of our troops...":cheers:

the_holy_knight
15-04-2004, 22:32
Keeping siege as an anti-building is a must, maybe an anti-personnel but it should do very little damage to cavalry, have a major weakness to hack attacks ie. swords. but very resistant to archers which means it must be protected. All the anti-building siege must be really weak against units apart from archers. As has been mentioned before the siege rush in stronghold was really overpowered. And in aok:tc siege onager+scorpian was over powered it would even beat massed cavalry!

SumatroX
18-04-2004, 12:18
I don't think the siege equipment itself should be very vulnarable to swords, but the engineers. The should just die with 1 hit. And I think the catapult versus infantry/cavalary has a very easy solution, the realistic one. A stone should not have an explosion or somethink, but it should just smash into the ground, like in stronghold. If it hits a man, he is dead. (This makes me think of that one time in M:TW. There the enemy came with a huge army, I was defending. I had 2 trebuchets. And I ordered one of them to open fire on the enemy army. And LOL, with the first shot the stone landed exactly on the enemy kings head. Enemy morale reduced, easy win. :D)

KOSKnight
21-04-2004, 08:53
Originally posted by Frank Fay
And you have a limitted space in your army. You could carry max. 9 catapults but no units. An army has 9 slots (up to 12 with a special marshal skill) and you need to decide what kind of army you assemble.

is it possible to have 2 army in 1 area at a time in a battle?

Angryminer
21-04-2004, 11:40
Yes.

Angryminer

Jarlabanke
21-04-2004, 14:17
Let's say I assualt a castle, use my siegeequipment to fire a few stones at the enemy defence works but after a while decide that I'd better wait for more troops before I storm the enemy gates. Would I be able to call of teh assault but continue the siege? And would the damage done by my siegeequipment remain until next time I decide to assault?