PDA

View Full Version : To beta test or not to beta test

Pages : [1] 2

G_R
07-11-2003, 09:25
I want to ask Frujin ,Frank or anyone - is there going to be any beta testing and if there is when will it start.Cause if there is-i am willing to sacrifice my self for the good of the game:) and i live in Sofia if that helps:)?

One more thing -will there be slave labour in the game:)?

Frank Fay
07-11-2003, 09:56
About an open betatest it has not been decided yet. But if there will be one, this is the first place where you will get to know :D

BLOODUK
07-11-2003, 13:26
Awsome if i was turned down id think id cry ;)

zealot
10-11-2003, 18:22
I want to beta-test it too. If something about it is clear please write to zealotvn@abv.bg:rolleyes:

Bora
17-12-2003, 11:33
can i do beta-testing the game? pleeeeaaaseeeeeeee??? :)

Crazy_Hamster
17-12-2003, 14:50
If there's going to be a beta test,i think the testers should be picked randomly. Because it is not fair to say:"YOU"LL TEST!" and
"YOU WON'T" Think about it.

Arjenvs
17-12-2003, 16:57
Originally posted by Crazy_Hamster
If there's going to be a beta test,i think the testers should be picked randomly. Because it is not fair to say:"YOU"LL TEST!" and
"YOU WON'T" Think about it.

Well....you canīt pick randomly.....if you beta-test...and you want good results...then you want testers from different groups of players....for instant someone between 10-15 16-18 19-21 40-50 years old blablabla or different kind of gamers....so randomly is never smart I think.......

*...is going to apply as a 16 year old girl.....there will not be a lot of them applying....;)*

Cork2
17-12-2003, 17:22
Hmm they will only have a certain amount of people beta testing. Lets say they would pick 205 beta testers, well lucky enought we got 205 people on these forums. :D . Anywho i doubt you get to test the single player. I bet its the multiplayer thats genne get tested if they have one, and i am fine with that.

W-O-D
17-12-2003, 18:51
User testing the MP (if this will ever be come true) of KoH in an open Betatest ?? Daydreams i'm think,and why ?
Look at the announced MP for Anno 1503,this is over a Year ago,and the Fans are still waiting..and waiting...and waiting.:rolleyes:

So dont make the same mistakes with KoH,don't tell that something comes,and then comes nothing.;)

G_R
17-12-2003, 19:13
If there is a beta test maybe only people from Bulgaria can participate -don't get me wrong but who would give a beta of his game to a person from another country!
Still- if there is a beta test I hope that everybody can be envolved!
Yet i don't believe in beta test-it only slows down game development.And besides what are patches for!?!:D

W-O-D
17-12-2003, 19:24
*gg* Wy not only Tester from the Home of KoH ? Think that doesn't matter from where they are,they still must good working (enough time for test and fixing bugs),so the Game can comes without any bigbugs to the enduser.:D

G_R
17-12-2003, 20:27
U is right-IR ashamed:D !

Henrik
17-12-2003, 20:37
Originally posted by G_R
If there is a beta test maybe only people from Bulgaria can participate -don't get me wrong but who would give a beta of his game to a person from another country!
Still- if there is a beta test I hope that everybody can be envolved!
Yet i don't believe in beta test-it only slows down game development.And besides what are patches for!?!:D

I'll tell ya what beta-test are for: It is so you aaanndd Myself don't by the and when we try to install it, it start with the welcome screen and then deletes your harddrive ! - I also think that releasing a product free fom bugs ( or at lest the severe ones ) from the start is far better than releasing a product that you have trouble playing and then you'll have to wait untill they release patches to be able to play the game properly.

Patches are also, from an economic point of view, expensive to make, coz though they are free to download, you'll still have to pay someone to make'em which is not good for the company's profit.

I would prefer that they used the time to make an add-on instead of making patches, but this will only happend if the product is free from bugs in the first place.

G_R
18-12-2003, 12:49
Now that i tnink about it -you're right!
I prefer an addon instead of a patch!

Frieden
19-12-2003, 23:07
Betatesting ?

I volenteer :)

silver
23-12-2003, 18:51
I think some of you miss the point of Beta Testing. All games will be Beta Tested - but the choice is whether the Beta Test is open to the public or a closed Beta Test. I personally think that for games that really want to become big players on the game scene, open beta testing is essential. Especially multiplayer beta testing.
One of the keys to beta testing is to get a decent cross of users - usually trying to emulate a cross section of predicted gamers - including huge veriety in hardware the testers use. The idea is to smooth out the product - NOT to give the game to fans on a forum before the paying public, although many of them would be excellent beta testers - they would not be representative of all the gamers that will purchase the game.
I have been involved in 2 major beta tests - Warcraft 3 - which was conducted extremely thoroughly and professionally and Star Wars Galaxies which was a total and utter joke that was run badly. The former product saw and awesome and very successful release - that latter saw the release of a game no where near ready and quite frankly the worst waste of money you could spend. Maybe there is something to learn there!

Arjenvs
23-12-2003, 18:56
Originally posted by silver
(....)One of the keys to beta testing is to get a decent cross of users - usually trying to emulate a cross section of predicted gamers - including huge veriety in hardware the testers use. The idea is to smooth out the product - NOT to give the game to fans on a forum before the paying public, although many of them would be excellent beta testers - they would not be representative of all the gamers that will purchase the game.(...)

I allready posted about the fact that the beta test , first is important...and second will be done within a wide group of users.....I specified that with age groups... but more important indeed is the variety in hardware....I remmember that from other beta tests (read about on other fora)

:cheers:

silver
23-12-2003, 19:04
I guess we are in agreement then :)

Romulus
24-12-2003, 02:54
Im so unlucky when it comes to getting betas...Im still waiting, and have till the 28th to get the Far Cry beta...I just cross my fingers lol.

silver
24-12-2003, 09:16
Originally posted by Romulus
Im so unlucky when it comes to getting betas...Im still waiting, and have till the 28th to get the Far Cry beta...I just cross my fingers lol.

Downgrade your PC then - everyone knows their game will run like a dream on that :D

/ends jealous joke