PDA

View Full Version : Stop taking my clerics!!!

Pages : [1] 2

John Cabot
18-05-2007, 18:26
I want to have a cleric and lavish books on him so he can easily convert provinces, but my last 2 have been made Pope. Is there any way to make MY clerics less appealing?

Dobber
18-05-2007, 19:22
Well you could get yourself excommunicated! :biggrin:

You can protect your educated Cleric from being chosen as Pope, but it requires burning a Knight's slot.
You hire an additional Cleric and place him at the front end(left side) of the Knight's bar and leave him, do not place him governing a province. Also try to keep your educated Cleric governing a province at all times, when you need to change his governorship, watch for his release from the current province and immediately assign him to the next province to govern.
The Pope selection usually will grab the first Cleric in the bar, especially if he is not governing and the other is!

John Cabot
18-05-2007, 19:28
I don't understand. I have 1 slot open (or will be after the current Pope dies), and I don't want to exile the default marshal (which is what I think you're suggesting).

Kuno of Gersenau
18-05-2007, 19:38
You can move the knights in the slots by using the right mouse button...

Dobber
18-05-2007, 20:21
When I have a Cleric elected as Pope, I always discharge the Pope, so to speak. I have no use for him on my court. What I am suggesting is having the spare cleric in place and when he is elected discharge him, hire another cleric to await the same fate, while doing this you protect your educated Cleric from becoming Pope.

John Cabot
18-05-2007, 20:23
When I have a Cleric elected as Pope, I always discharge the Pope, so to speak. I have no use for him on my court. What I am suggesting is having the spare cleric in place and when he is elected discharge him, hire another cleric to await the same fate, while doing this you protect your educated Cleric from becoming Pope.

Would discharging him hurt realtions with the Papacy?

knez
18-05-2007, 22:31
I love to get pope in the late game:biggrin:
I usually start like 20+ crusades before he excommunicates me:angel:

Lord_Nick
18-05-2007, 23:04
Don't want your Cleric being made into the Pope?

Set your King to be your Cleric ... he can't be King and the Pope at the same time.

And Dobber, I'm not sure about the Pope being selected based on slot-position. I would think it's based on the number of stars each Cleric has .. more stars = higher likelihood of being Pope.

John Cabot
18-05-2007, 23:22
You can't educate your King, and an uneducated cleric is much more likely to fail in conversions, and possibly be murdered!! :eek:

Thunder666
18-05-2007, 23:39
i don't think making your king cleric will do much good, when the king dies you lose your cleric anyway so your not that much better off

Dobber
19-05-2007, 04:21
And Dobber, I'm not sure about the Pope being selected based on slot-position. I would think it's based on the number of stars each Cleric has .. more stars = higher likelihood of being Pope.
:angry:
I would not have posted it had it not worked for me! I do not make a habit of suggesting things that I haven't tried unless they have been mentioned to me by others that I trust to know what they are talking about. But in this case I personally have tested out my suggestion.

If you have a cleric in your bar, that is not assigned to a province it is selected before the other regardless of stars, as long as it is positioned in the bar left of the other cleric. I do usually educate this cleric to 1 or 2 star level, to further enhance his being chosen. :go:

Lord_Nick
19-05-2007, 16:27
You can't educate your King, and an uneducated cleric is much more likely to fail in conversions, and possibly be murdered!! :eek:

You can educate your Royal Family (Kings and Princes) up to 5 stars in all of the professions.

i don't think making your king cleric will do much good, when the king dies you lose your cleric anyway so your not that much better off
True, but at least he is not taken away from you unexpectedly, and you can always re-allocate him to another profession if you no longer need a Cleric .. and he's free, and never a spy. I would never hire a Cleric because they can do a lot of damage.

I would not have posted it had it not worked for me! I do not make a habit of suggesting things that I haven't tried unless they have been mentioned to me by others that I trust to know what they are talking about. But in this case I personally have tested out my suggestion.

If you have a cleric in your bar, that is not assigned to a province it is selected before the other regardless of stars, as long as it is positioned in the bar left of the other cleric. I do usually educate this cleric to 1 or 2 star level, to further enhance his being chosen.

Dobber,
Do you mind posting a few screenshots of your method?

What testing method did you use to determine it was the slot position, and not whether the Cleric was assigned/unassigned or how many stars he had?

Are you saying the AI pulled your assigned Cleric and left your unassigned Cleric alone when the unassigned Cleric was further to the right? What effect did the number of stars have?

Dobber
19-05-2007, 19:09
Dobber,
Do you mind posting a few screenshots of your method?

What testing method did you use to determine it was the slot position, and not whether the Cleric was assigned/unassigned or how many stars he had?

Are you saying the AI pulled your assigned Cleric and left your unassigned Cleric alone when the unassigned Cleric was further to the right? What effect did the number of stars have?

I don't do screenshots in KoH, to much trouble to get them, you cannot just press a key or combination of keys to make the shot and then retrieve it later from a screenshot folder as you can in the Anno games. And yes I have tried a printscreen program(Gadwin), it does a fine job, but I don't like having other processes eating up my resources while I am gaming.

I never said it was exclusively slot position that determined the selection. I believe there was mention of keeping your educated cleric Governing a province, as well!

I happened across this method of saving my cleric quite by accident, actually. One day when I was playing I had several clerics snatched to the Pope position, I was fed up with it and had hired another cleric to start training him so when my 5 star cleric got snatched again, I would already have another cleric ready to step right in. I had only educated him to 2 or 3 stars, when the Pope died and the lower educated cleric was appointed Pope. I was puzzled by this, and looked to see what might have been the reason. Since the higher educated cleric was assigned a province and the other was not, I assumed that was the reason. I hired another cleric and had educated him to 2 or 3 stars, I decided to reorganize my Knight's bar, placing my Marshall pairings side by side on the bar. The less educated cleric wound up to the right side of the 5 star one. I did not worry, I was keeping the 5 star assigned and that was the condition I had determined was the criteria kept him from being picked previously. Well, guess what, even though he was assigned and the other was not, he was selected. That shot the assignment theory, so I looked to the other condition which was the position of the clerics, and assumed it was the position. Once I had this cleric to 5 stars, I hired another cleric and made sure he was in the first position on the bar, I didn't bother to educate him, because I now knew that the position was the criteria used. And I relaxed myself in getting the 5 star cleric assigned right away, when changing assignments(he was to the right of the other cleric after all). Guess what, the Pope died, 5 star was not assigned, he was selected. So position(alone) was not the criteria, we had determined already assignment(alone) was not the criteria and we had already determined that education(alone) was not the criteria. So I considered that position in combination with assignment combined to determine the outcome. From that point on I made sure that my 5 star cleric was always to the right side of the bar and always kept on assignment, while having a 2 star cleric on the left side of the bar, unassigned. From that point on, I never lost my 5 star cleric to Pope election.

Education is the number one criteria used, but it is not the only thing that determines the selection And that is why I stated having the less educated cleric on the left and unassigned and keeping your 5 star on assignment. It is slot position and assignment condition, that will override education when the selection is made.

I never said that education was not used in the selection.
After all, I was advising "How to save your educated cleric from being elected Pope". How to beat the education criteria.

I feel that there are other criteria that determine your nation being selected, things like relationship with other Catholic nations and such things. You could probably be a ruthless ruler and do things to lower your position in the church and lessen the possibility that your clerics would even be considered and not have to even worry about it. But you would have to repeat the process each time a new Pope is elected, since your relationship with the church is restored with each new Pope.

mammix
19-05-2007, 19:53
dobber- ctrl+p makes screenshot :)

Lord_Nick
20-05-2007, 00:57
Dobber,

Thank you for the explanation, and the different tests you did. :go: I will have to try it out the next time I play as a Catholic kingdom.

Largefry07
20-05-2007, 02:44
I find that once you have established your kingdom as a powerful nation, taking out Papacy is the way to go with saving your clerics. Yes is hard but it's a wonderful challenge and it is very effective.:cheers:

Dobber
20-05-2007, 03:19
I find that once you have established your kingdom as a powerful nation, taking out Papacy is the way to go with saving your clerics. Yes is hard but it's a wonderful challenge and it is very effective.:cheers:
That was what I used to do, but after the last patch, I found that when I took out the Papacy, the office of the Pope remained and I was still losing clerics to the election of Pope!

Largefry07
20-05-2007, 04:43
That was what I used to do, but after the last patch, I found that when I took out the Papacy, the office of the Pope remained and I was still losing clerics to the election of Pope!

Oh my! I forgot about the patch change. That just goes to show you how often I have time to play any games.:bash:

mammix
20-05-2007, 10:51
you are talking about patch 1.05? in my game when papacy is destroyed there is no pope...

Dobber
20-05-2007, 15:04
Yes I was talking about 1.05! It may be a quirk that happened in that one game. I haven't tried taking out the Papacy since, because of it. I didn't see any since in bringing the entire Catholic following, down on me, if the Pope was going to still exist. I started a thread about itback when it happened to me, to see if it had happened to anyone else, but I cannot remember the results of that conversation. Maybe I can locate the thread!

Okay I found the thread, it is here (http://forum.sunflowers.de/showthread.php?t=15751&highlight=Pope)! I noticed in the thread that Elvain was going to check it out, but he never reported back so I guess he never did try it!

I guess I will have to try it again and see what happens, might even see if I have a save of that game if anyone is interested in the save.