PDA

View Full Version : The thing I fear most about this game...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

vanedor
14-12-2003, 09:08
Two words : real time.

This game got so much. Diplomacy, world conquest, spying, battles... can it really be done in real time?

I don't know. Realist and complex games tend to be turn based games, usually. Turns give us the chance to handle all the small details, plan carefully, etc.

We will see, we will see, I give a chance to the runner. Weather I buy the game or not will probably depends of the demo.

G_R
14-12-2003, 11:00
The game developers have said that the game can not be compared to other games-because it has a special and unique gameplay!So special that can do all the things you've said -in real time!!!

Gorgoroth
14-12-2003, 11:12
Actually I find this weird as well. When we're messing around on the campaign map, that should be turn based IMHO, and the battles should be real time.

Angryminer
14-12-2003, 13:37
I think that time should freeze on specific events, because it would be very bad if the battle against evil-mastermind-super-realm was lost, because your spy on the other site of europe wants to tell you, that he has problems to learn what that peasant over there had for breakfast.
Time should freeze, you click okay, and the battle goes on again.

[But I think that's already in the game]

Angryminer

G_R
14-12-2003, 13:49
Guys , guys have some faith in the game developers-if they say its going to be a real time game then it will be!

Emhyr var Emreis
14-12-2003, 15:08
So, freezing time (when reading a message,diplomatical action or sth like this) is a part of real time. I hope

Kdar
14-12-2003, 15:44
it jast like pause in real time games

Henrik
14-12-2003, 17:48
I'll also hope that the game eighter pauses or at least slows down when you recieve a message otherwise i'm affraid that one just would ignore incomming messages when they fight a battle - multi-taskning is for computers not humans :D

G_R
14-12-2003, 18:14
You still don't hear me do you?The game will have an unique gameplay and i don't believe that pausing or slowing down the game is the answer!It would mess up multyplayer games-you can't freeze a game or pause everytime you have a message!
Imagine this 6 players are enjoying a KoH game and suddenly one gets a message then another one recieves a message and everybody pauses or slows down the game to reply!
So believe me the game will have another sollution to the problem!!!

P.S.-nothing personal:D

Gorgoroth
14-12-2003, 18:28
Er....do we have a pause game option? If yes, than the problems are solved.

G_R
14-12-2003, 18:32
Read the post above man it will give an answer to your question!!!

Gorgoroth
14-12-2003, 19:00
What should I read in your reply? You gave us no answer.
Who was talking about multiplayer? You cannot even play the campaign in multi.
Perhaps you should read my post first. :p
Also what unique gameplay? It can be either real time/turn based/real time with a pause function.
I cannot think about anything else.

If you ask me the real time with a pause function would be perfect, IF we cannot have a turn based system, while we're "using" the campaign map.

Henrik
14-12-2003, 20:41
I'll agree - we need the pause button, cause if don't get how would you have time to look after the realms that you have in your possession I.e. it easy enough if you only have 3 - 4 realms, but what happens when you have 10 - 20 !

G_R
14-12-2003, 21:08
Originally posted by Gorgoroth
What should I read in your reply? You gave us no answer.
Who was talking about multiplayer? You cannot even play the campaign in multi.
Perhaps you should read my post first. :p
Also what unique gameplay? It can be either real time/turn based/real time with a pause function.
I cannot think about anything else.

If you ask me the real time with a pause function would be perfect, IF we cannot have a turn based system, while we're "using" the campaign map.

Thats why its unique -it will be a whole new way of controling your empire-atleast thats what the developers said!
It will be an advanced version of real time strategy and I believe it will not have a pause option-understand-KoH will be the next step in real time strategies so there must be no assosiations with other games!!!

rado907
14-12-2003, 21:12
from my experience the problem will be exactly the opposite

the real time might get very boring if there's nothing to do. while in TBS games you can just click 'end turn', in RTS you have to wait for the army to get wherever it's going... and so on...

I really hope for speed up availability.

Emhyr var Emreis
14-12-2003, 21:26
Originally posted by Henrik
I'll agree - we need the pause button, cause if don't get how would you have time to look after the realms that you have in your possession I.e. it easy enough if you only have 3 - 4 realms, but what happens when you have 10 - 20 !
Then the game turns to be realistic:D No medieval king was able to stop the time when his forces were about to start the battle and hi e.i. recieved a message, he has to decide, what to do-lead the forces or read(or, in earlier periods, to listen) the message.
Freezing the time can be good for game, but by sacrifizing the reality...

to @rado907: You can do more than only to wait for your army, I thing this game won't have much empty places.

vanedor
14-12-2003, 21:37
I'm sure there will be an option to speed up and speed down your game.

Something I wonder, though... if you are stuck in a nice tactical castle assault on your western border and an opponent decides that it's the right time to mount an attack on your eastern realms, what's there to prevent him from razing all your (almost) defenseless structures... will you be warned during your battle that you are under attack? Probably, I guess. But what about your current battle? You leave it to the ai to take care of the battle on the eastern flank?

hrmm.

In turn based games, you don't have this problem. In a single turn, you can fight as many battle as you wish.

Emhyr var Emreis
14-12-2003, 21:42
Originally posted by vanedor
In turn based games, you don't have this problem. In a single turn, you can fight as many battle as you wish.
Yea, but real time is...realistic and also I thimk better.
As a king you didn't have any option for turns. When the kingdom was in the mess of war the king have to deal with it somehow...

vanedor
14-12-2003, 22:03
"No medieval king was able to stop the time when his forces were about to start the battle and hi e.i. recieved a message, he has to decide, what to do-lead the forces or read(or, in earlier periods, to listen) the message."

But kings had a whole 24 hours per day to make their decision. How much real time is a hour in this game? 1 minute? 5 seconds? shrug. And king did not have to handle the battles. He could just ask one of his lieutnant, I give you 2000 of my men, go conquer the Normandy in my name. And he would only hear about it a few months later when his lieutnant was successful or defeated.

It could be done the same, in this game. But I think we like too much to control the battles to leave them to a benevolent ai.

So in fact, in this game, we are not just the king. We are also his captains.

We do more than 1 man job in less time they had. So please, don't tell us having a pause option would make the game irealistic. On this chapter, it's already irealistic.

I own a game named "Majesty". It's a game simulating you as the king of a fantasy kingdom. You get no direct control over anyone. You decide only a few things : What to build, what to recruit, the tax level, and what to place a bounty on. You could place kill bounties on baddies and explore bounties on unexplored lands. Then your ai hero were deciding if your bounties were high enough for the risk. The only way to directly influence the battle was by casting spells... which was possible only once you had built temple or wizard towers.

That's the most realistic strategy game I ever played concerning what control you have, as king, president or whatever, over your kingdom, despite the fantasy context.

Gorgoroth
14-12-2003, 22:29
Allright fellas, this is a pointless discussion.. I can't see that a pause function why would be bad. In fact it is a must have IMHO.
I want to make wise decisions, that is why I love turn based games. Real time battles are very good, but the strategic part of the game [IE. the campaign map, moving armies etc. etc.] should be either turn based OR as I've said real time with pause.

G_R: I know that the game will be really good, in fact I totally trust in the devs, that they will make a nice unique system, still I hope that you get my points.
Perhaps a dev should give us a proper answer. :)

Oh and one more thing. I would like to see a pause function while playing battles as well.

Keep in mind I am talking about singleplayer of course.