PDA

View Full Version : Concentric castles

Pages : 1 [2]

Frank Fay
10-02-2004, 10:32
Yes our castles are more like your second link.

ZonerX
10-02-2004, 14:35
High and low walls would be great, as would round and square towers.

But most importantly and AI that attacks the right area of a castle.

I meen, if I build a castle double walled on 3 sides and 1 side has low walls.[with a geography which makes attacks almost impossible].AndI know that the only way to succesfully attack the castle would be by attacking any of the 3 double walls. Yet the AI go's for the low wall over and over, it would be kinda pointless game.

Walls and stuff is nice, AI that can understand how your castle works is better.

Elewyn
10-02-2004, 14:42
Originally posted by ZonerX
High and low walls would be great, as would round and square towers.

But most importantly and AI that attacks the right area of a castle.

I meen, if I build a castle double walled on 3 sides and 1 side has low walls.[with a geography which makes attacks almost impossible].AndI know that the only way to succesfully attack the castle would be by attacking any of the 3 double walls. Yet the AI go's for the low wall over and over, it would be kinda pointless game.

Walls and stuff is nice, AI that can understand how your castle works is better. About which castle you speak about? About what you speak about?

ZonerX
10-02-2004, 14:53
Originally posted by Elewyn
About which castle you speak about? About what you speak about?

I ment this:
\3/
o--o
2 || || 4
o=o
-- is low wall
|| and = is high walls
o is round towers

if I had a castle like that,
where side 1 would be plain ground with light forrest.
2 and 4 would have light slopes
and 3 would be a kinda tunnel like approach[that's the \ / ]

Yet the AI would attack side 3 only because it has low walls, then the game would pretty much ****.

Elewyn
10-02-2004, 15:04
Originally posted by ZonerX
I ment this:
\3/
o--o
2 || || 4
o=o
-- is low wall
|| and = is high walls
o is round towers

if I had a castle like that,
where side 1 would be plain ground with light forrest.
2 and 4 would have light slopes
and 3 would be a kinda tunnel like approach[that's the \ / ]

Yet the AI would attack side 3 only because it has low walls, then the game would pretty much ****. I meant. From what did you realize AI will attack that side?

Angryminer
10-02-2004, 15:16
That will surely depends on the attacker's personality and equipment.
Of course, if he's low on battle-rams and trebuches and the area is too dangerous to besiege the town he will try to attack the weakest spot of the castle he was able to find by espionage.
If he has a whole bunch of trebuches rolling around he will surely crack your walls and move in like on a red carpet.
If he has many men but few trebuches, he'll besiege your town and wait until you come out.
If he likes espionage he'll inflict a rebellion in your town.
If he likes diplomacy he'll make his allies force you to leave the town.

There are enough possibilies to keep this game from being boring.

Angryminer

ZonerX
10-02-2004, 15:35
I meant. From what did you realize AI will attack that side?

Well, some AI's are built to attack calculating the shortest time till they can reach in this case the inside of the castle, and attack from that. That is in case they do not calculate an overall chance of succes or cassualties.

Also, if you played Stronghold, you know that it's very easy to trick an AI.
For example, in stronghold you could built a full castle with walls and all, leave out 1 piece in the wall, and the AI would always attack that, since it was the fastest way inside the castle. Although the walls around it were stacked with archers.

Elewyn
10-02-2004, 15:39
Well, some AI's are built to attack calculating the shortest time till they can reach in this case the inside of the castle, and attack from that. That is in case they do not calculate an overall chance of succes or cassualties.

Also, if you played Stronghold, you know that it's very easy to trick an AI.
For example, in stronghold you could built a full castle with walls and all, leave out 1 piece in the wall, and the AI would always attack that, since it was the fastest way inside the castle. Although the walls around it were stacked with archers. But, as simply as I can, from what did you get it is in KoH? I've red a lot about this game and never see this. And suddently you say it as if it is sure exactly this way. That's why I am curious.

ZonerX
10-02-2004, 16:54
But, as simply as I can, from what did you get it is in KoH? I've red a lot about this game and never see this. And suddently you say it as if it is sure exactly this way. That's why I am curious.

Well, AI has to base their attack on something.
As far as I know, Stronghold based it on shortest and less obstructed distance to king. Which explains it entering thru open walls.

I dunno how they are gonna solve reasonble intelligent attacks on KoH. Specially if you get to build your own castle.

Henrik
11-02-2004, 08:28
yeahhh, i'd sure like to know also - it's a bit confusing !:confused:

Haegemon
11-02-2004, 16:36
Easy

How in commandos saga Pyro Studios made a soldier see and hear?

Think about it.

Henrik
11-02-2004, 20:00
Originally posted by Haegemon
Easy

How in commandos saga Pyro Studios made a soldier see and hear?

Think about it.

Haegemon i think you'll have to be just little a bit more specific, coz i don't have a clue about what you mean :confused:

Grinn
11-02-2004, 20:13
Perhaps he's commenting on how AI units can have varying levels of awareness?

Henrik
11-02-2004, 20:21
Originally posted by Grinn
Perhaps he's commenting on how AI units can have varying levels of awareness?

Yeaahh, it could just be that ;) - who knows :confused:
:D

Haegemon
11-02-2004, 20:44
The IA of Commandos games don't points to any central objective. Instead they created a vision system usable for every character using images like thriangles (at the beginning not visible for the player), that reacted passing through another determined image. Whatever reaction of the character later, was matter of programation.
Also devs of Pyro made characters hear, I think it was using the same way but with a circle (not visible for the player) oround the characted image.
Thriangles and circles had a color gradient to determine short and long range of sight.
Well, devs probably will know better this way.

Using this in KoH can make possible an army decide if there are too much enemies, include what kind of enemy, in a wall's hole to engage it.

Henrik
11-02-2004, 20:58
Haegemon if i understand you correctly - suggest that the devs could use this to let A.I decide the best way of attacking based on parameters such as enemy strenght, the obstacles ( like moats walls ) etc. ?

If it's these things you're thinking of, then i'm with you - it would be quite awesome :)

Haegemon
12-02-2004, 01:41
Is that exactly, this way the AI could know where is the weakeness by number of enemies and other things depending on what the soldiers "are seeing". :)

rado907
13-02-2004, 15:45
meh
stuff like that can be added in an add-on if they dont include it originally