PDA

View Full Version : What nations can you play?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Jorghan
11-01-2004, 16:58
MTW:VI is short for Medieval Total War: Viking Invasion. It's about the vikings invading the brittish isles. So, you get to create the Danelaw. :D

Jarlabanke
11-01-2004, 17:30
Well the vikings in England were mostly Danes, those in Scotland and Ireland were mostly from Norway, the Swedes were active in the east until the traderouts there collapsed, then they too started turning their eyes towards England, but at that time the vikingage was about to end. Futhermore the vikingarmies were not composed of people from one singel country but more likely of people from all over Scandinavia. The english chose to call the vikings danes as they were the most numerous in their lands.

Bagpipe
11-01-2004, 22:21
Hey!
I'd like to ask about differences of nations. Only units? Maby buildings, castles? Who knows?

Can't wait till demo will be released.:bday:

Jorghan
11-01-2004, 23:00
I think the differences are in realms, not nations.

Gorgoroth
12-01-2004, 12:20
Originally posted by Finellach
Bohemia more important than Croatia? You don't say? And why is the "almighty Bohemia" so more important than Crotia?

Croatia is must have in this game. Not because I am from Croatia but because Croatia was one of the mightiest kingdoms in early middle-age to the 1102 year and "Pacta Conventa" with the Hungarians in which Croatia retained it's independence, and recongized King Koloman of Hungaria and his descendants as their own royal family. From that point Hungaria and Croatian-Dalmatian kingdom co-existed as dual-kingdoms and so in the future. It was later when Hungarians fell under the influnce of Austria that Croatia lost it's independance(just like Hungaria) and was held as part of Hungaria and since Hungaria was held as part of Austria basiclly Croatia, Dalmatia, Slavonia and Bosnia(all croatian provinces) as part of Austria but always only on paper. Austrian Empror had to learn to speak croatian just as hungarian.

Either way to deny Croatia is to deny a big part of south-middle-european history and the heroic deeds of croatian nobles during those periods especially during the invasion of Turks. :D

So I say if there is Bohemia let it be Croatia not the other way around. :p

Personally I would like to see both of these countries as 'playable'. :cheers:

Elewyn
12-01-2004, 13:46
Originally posted by Gorgoroth
Personally I would like to see both of these countries as 'playable'. :cheers:
"At least for conquering tham both :D" Mathias Corvin

Gorgoroth
12-01-2004, 15:01
Originally posted by Elewyn
"At least for conquering tham both :D" Mathias Corvin

:D :p

Haegemon
16-01-2004, 19:33
I think could be fine culturalize::cool:

XI century:
"España-Spain":
Al-andalus-saracens, Reign of Leon, Reign of Navarra, Earldom of Catalunya, Earldom of Castilla, Earldom of Aragón.
"England":
Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England
"France":
Reign of France, Bourgoyne, Part of The German Holy Roman Empire
"Deuchland-Germany"
The German Holy Roman Empire (included actual Austria, Switzerland...)
"Italia-Italy"
Part of The German Holy Roman Empire, Roma
"Denmmark,Sweden,Finland"
Normands (Danish reigns, Swedish reigns, Finnish reigns).
"Eastern of Europe"
Poland, Reign of Hungary (included part of ex-yougoslavia to frontier of Poland), Byzantium empire (included part of Italy, ex-yugoslavia, Tukey...and far away), Reig of Kiev.

Year 1093 first Crousade.

Elewyn
17-01-2004, 00:23
Sorry, it seems like you don't know much about other regions than iberian peninsula. In 11th cent., France was far from centralized kingdom, ex-yugoslavia is, if you don't know, now Serbia, Croatia(to mention only the most powerful ones in that time, etc.

Then there were also some nomadic tribes in "South Russia", called Ukraine and many other russian principaties, from which the most powerfull were Kiev and Novgorod(at that time).

I don't wanna imagine what our scandinavian mates think about calling them Normans.

And six kingdoms-nations in Spain is simply impossible in game like this.
Kingdom of Burgundy became part of the Holy roman empire, and was the third formal kingdom inside it(with Italian and German-Teutonic). Don't be affraid, I won't forget Bohemia, but I know it wasn't so important in 11th century, so I won't be offended when somebody forgets it...

Sorry, this was maybe to offensive, forgive me, pleas...

PS: have you seen this? http://www.euratlas.com/time2.htm

Haegemon
17-01-2004, 03:08
No offense

But I didn't tried to give a master class. Only tried to give simplified data. My problem is with the english in my language could said more.
Course Europe was more complicated. I don't said anything
of bretagne or Aquitaine; Kingdom of Burgundy became part of the Holy roman empire with Bohemia, Austria, Low Countries, Lux, Switzerland cantons, Savoia, Firenze, Genova, Milan, Modena.

The Normands fought the battle of Hastings, Normands were vickings and that were from North, they were Scandinavian and in the year 1000 while Erik disenbarked in "vinland" vickings were expanding to the north, south, est and west. Normands don't know exactly were they from, Norwegian, Danish, Finnish and Swedish, there were other clans, families, reigns with other names like the swedish varegs but they have a common origin. Look their flags. Maybe one day an scandinavian could tell their history, the history of normans, vickings, the runes, thor and his hummer, odin and the balhala...but until then.

From Eastern can tell minimal details my scholar text books are from 80's...you know 2 Europes. Like seems I don't know much about other regions... :angry:

PD: I saw the maps and are OK.

Rnett
17-01-2004, 05:00
Those are some really nice maps, great link Elewyn:go:

Elewyn
17-01-2004, 10:27
One more advice: read this thread from the biggining and you'll see many more info, about Scandinavia, about HRE, about Hungary and relations with Croatia etc. Probably the less discussed are here Eastern Europe(in Bohemia we mean by it Ukraine, Belarus, Russia and sometimes the Baltics) and Byzantine empire.

PS: the link's not brought by me... you'll see when reading thread from the biggining.
PPS:Sorry, I didn't want to be that hard welcoming

Jarlabanke
17-01-2004, 17:35
The Normans in short..

Sometime around 911, this Viking called Rollo or Gånge-Rolf (meaning that he walked because he was too large to ride, makes sense if you've seen an icelandic horse), came from probably Norway to raid along the Seine. He ended up besieging Paris with an army that some sources say was made up by about 700 ships (that would mean about 40000 men which probably is very exaggerated). The French king being unable to get him to leave, made a deal with him: the vikings were given what today is Normandy in exchange for them converting to christianity and swearing allegiance to the French king, in other words helping him defend his kingdom against other raids. The Normans made a raher small impact on the population already living there, although there are some scandinavian names on towns and such.

Henrik
17-01-2004, 18:05
Originally posted by Haegemon
No offense

But I didn't tried to give a master class. Only tried to give simplified data. My problem is with the english in my language could said more.
Course Europe was more complicated. I don't said anything
of bretagne or Aquitaine; Kingdom of Burgundy became part of the Holy roman empire with Bohemia, Austria, Low Countries, Lux, Switzerland cantons, Savoia, Firenze, Genova, Milan, Modena.

The Normands fought the battle of Hastings, Normands were vickings and that were from North, they were Scandinavian and in the year 1000 while Erik disenbarked in "vinland" vickings were expanding to the north, south, est and west. Normands don't know exactly were they from, Norwegian, Danish, Finnish and Swedish, there were other clans, families, reigns with other names like the swedish varegs but they have a common origin. Look their flags. Maybe one day an scandinavian could tell their history, the history of normans, vickings, the runes, thor and his hummer, odin and the balhala...but until then.

Don't be so modest :) - you seem to know quite a bit of history - about the things you don't know these can usually be found by doing a bit of searching ;) - i'll guess that's what the rest of us do ! :)

Haegemon
19-01-2004, 17:29
Originally posted by Henrik
Don't be so modest :) - you seem to know quite a bit of history - about the things you don't know these can usually be found by doing a bit of searching ;) - i'll guess that's what the rest of us do ! :)

Thanks, I know only a little but I try to search usually.:D :go: :viking:

Elewyn
19-01-2004, 17:57
Sorry that I was so offensive.

I do it (searchinng) sometimes too. But not to be so modest, these are usually details I'm looking up.:bday:
I must know something about it when I study it..and I'm proud of it :D

PS: when the list of nations will emerge?

Henrik
19-01-2004, 20:29
Originally posted by Elewyn
Sorry that I was so offensive. I do it sometimes too. But not to be so modest, these are usually details I'm looking up.:bday:
I must know something about it when I study it..and I'm proud of it :D

PS: when the list of nations will emerge?

I'll bet no offencive was taken - i.e flaming is luckily not common at this forum :)

wis
23-01-2004, 21:07
France
England
HRE
Italian states
Byzantine Empire
The Rus
Denmark/norway?
Sweden
Papal states?
some white country who owns sicily and Sardinia?
Poland
Hungary
Leon/castile/aragon?
the Almoravids or almohades?

wis
23-01-2004, 22:34
some of them i have posted could be non playable factions :I

Emhyr var Emreis
23-01-2004, 23:01
ehm...
sorry but have you seen the discussion above? and screenshots, where nations are?
I think lot of us did alot for clearing up what nations are seen in screenshots above. Something bit different is what will devs definitely say about it, but it won't be much far from stay as it is now.

England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Noeway, Sweden, Denmark, Russia, Lithuania, Poland, Holy Roman Empire, France, Castile, Portugal, Aragon, Swiss, Kingdom of italy or sth like that, Papal state, Kingdom of Sicily and Naples, Croatia, Hungary, Serbia, Wallachia, Bulgaria, Byzantium, Moldova.

That's what you can see on map on screenshots. But probably in different periods there are some changes, like some moorish state in Spain, Bohemia, Seljuks and Ottomans, Franks, Vikings etc.